BSU awarded ‘Outstanding Big 12 Council of the Year’

0
92
The K-State Black Student Union and the Big XII Council on Black Student Government hosted a Solidarity Rally on Nov. 4, 2017. (Alex Shaw | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State Black Student Union was awarded the “Clarence Wine Award for Outstanding Big 12 Council of the Year” for the tenth time in 13 years at the annual Big 12 Conference on Black Student Government at Baylor University earlier this month.

Darrell Reese Jr, BSU president and junior in mechanical engineering, said he is proud that the student organization has been recognized once again.

“This was my first year as president,” Reese said. “To me, it was an amazing feeling for all of our students.”

The BSU also won the title last year.

Jared Newell, freshman in biology, also expressed excitement about the organization receiving recognition.

“I think it’s amazing that K-State’s BSU is getting this recognition once again,” Newell said.”This organization is thought-provoking and very inclusive of people from every walk of life, and I think that’s exactly what our world needs more of right now.”

Willow Willingham, junior in psychology and biology, said she is ecstatic about the award because it reflects the inclusivity of the organization.

“I think it’s really good and well-deserved since BSU has been a safe space for a lot of students on campus, and they’re really trying to promote openness for everyone,” Willingham said. “If you ever end up coming to a meeting, you’ll see everyone is like a literal family there, and that’s amazing for a lot of people who come far from home and might feel lost in such a big space.”

While this is an exciting moment for the BSU, Reese said he still believes there is room for improvement to attain the goal of the BSU: to stand up for all students on campus by providing a platform that allows for all voices to be heard.