K-State baseball blown out by Creighton 13-3

0
92
Winding up for a pitch, junior pitcher Mitch Zubradt looks towards junior catcher TK McWhertor against the Creighton Bluejays. The K-State Wildcats faced off against the Bluejays on Tuesday. (Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State baseball team played Creighton University last night and was blown out by a score of 13-3.

K-State’s record is now 10-6 overall after giving up 13 runs on 16 hits. Neither the pitching staff nor the offense for K-State could get anything going all night long in the almost four-hour game.

Freshman pitcher Quinton Potter started the day on the mound for the Wildcats and pitched 3.1 innings, giving up four runs on five hits. Potter faced 19 batters and walked three while striking out four.

K-State made a call to the bullpen five times during the game since it did not seem like any pitcher could find the strike zone for very long. The longest relief a pitcher got in the game for the Wildcats was an outing by sophomore Caleb Littlejim over two innings.

Freshmen Andrew Stratman and Alex Belch combined for 2.1 innings and were the only pitchers on the K-State staff to not give up a run to Creighton.

K-State’s defense committed four errors on the night, two from infielder senior Jake Biller, one from sophomore shortstop Cameron Thompson and one by senior right fielder Hanz Harker.

The Wildcat offense combined for just three runs on eight hits while striking out 10 times and leaving 11 runners on base.

There were a few silver linings in this game, one being that junior Rainer Ausmus singled in the first inning to score sophomore Will Brennan. On the night, Ausmus went 2-3 with a run batted in.

Biller snapped a 0-12 streak at the plate with a single to left field in the bottom of the seventh inning and went 1-4 in this game.

Junior outfielder Drew Mount went 2-4 with a walk and a run scored. In the ninth inning with two outs, Mount hit the ball deep to center and rounded the bases because of an error by the Creighton center fielder.

The Creighton Bluejays scored in six of the nine innings. Will Robertson doubled down the left field line, scoring Clark Brinkman. This was followed by Robertson scoring on a throwing error as Thomas Luevano reached base in the first inning.

Michael Emodi hit a three-run home run to left field in the fourth inning. In the fifth and sixth innings, Ryan Mantle and Robertson homered to left and right field.

All in all, this was just not the night that K-State was going to come off the field with the win. K-State’s record is now 10-6 overall and will have to look ahead to the weekend series against the College of Charleston. The Wildcats need to find their consistent starting pitching and have the offense to support that.

K-State will play their next game at home inside Tointon Family Stadium on Friday against the College of Charleston. First pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.