Behind Jaffrey, women’s golf places eighth at MountainView Collegiate Invitational

0
28

For the Kansas State women’s golf team, senior Connie Jaffrey tied for eighth place at the MountainView Collegiate Invitational on over the weekend in Tuscon, Arizona. As a team, the Wildcats finished the MountainView Collegiate in a tie with Wichita State at eighth place.

Jaffrey began the tournament Friday with a good day of golf, as she was in seventh place after the first day ended with a score of 1-under par. On the second day, Jaffrey had a rough day and found herself in 11th place heading into the final round.

She then ended the weekend at 2-over par 218, with an even-par 72 in the final round to place her in the top 10. She came just short of a three-way tie for fifth by one stroke, and five strokes separated her from being named the individual champion.

On Saturday, it was freshman Niamh McSherry that led the way for K-State as she scored a 1-under par 71.

Overall, Saturday was a good day for the Wildcats; they scored 14-over par 71 to have a total score of 24-over par 600 heading into the final day.

“We played a lot of good golf today,” head coach Kristi Knight said to K-State Sports. “Unfortunately, we did not finish as strong as we would like. I am proud of the effort. We have to keep playing. Niamh had one of the few under-par rounds in the extreme wind today.”

The Wildcats did not follow up with a good performance on Sunday, as they scored a 10-over par 298 to finish with a final score of 34-over par 898.
“As a team, we are not playing well,” Knight said to K-State Sports. “It is something we will talk about as a group and get ready to play Maridoe next week.”

McSherry ended the invitational with a total score of 8-over par 224 to tie for 25th.

Three other freshman helped the Wildcats finish in eight place. Ella Adams tied for 37th with her score of 12-over par 228, Reid Isaac tied for 52nd with a score of 15-over par 231 and Darby Deans tied for 72nd with a score of 22-over par 238.