K-State baseball set to play Omaha on Tuesday night

0
35
Junior catcher, TK McWhertor, swings at a pitch during the K-State baseball game against La Salle on Mar. 4, 2018. The Wildcats beat the Explorers 5-1. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State baseball team will play one game against the University of Nebraska Omaha on Tuesday with first pitch scheduled for 6:30 p.m.

K-State just lost endured a series loss in which they were swept by Texas Christian University. TCU scored 22 runs off the K-State pitching staff. The Wildcat offense only combined for a total of four runs over the weekend in Fort Worth, Texas.

K-State has a record of 12-12 going into this game and has a four-game losing streak.

Omaha is coming off a series win in which they took the first of two of three games against Oral Roberts over the weekend. After this series win, Omaha is 9-13 overall, but they have not won a game on the road that was not a neutral site.

K-State is 8-5 when playing at home. Leading it to this game, sophomore outfielder Will Brennan leads the team with a .410 batting average and has started every game for the Wildcats. Brennan also leads the team with a .471 on-base percentage.

Junior outfielder Drew Mount is hitting .298, has 30 runs batted in and has a .655 slugging percentage.

The pitching staff for K-State has a collective 5.44 earned run average so far this season. They have had three saves, two from sophomore relief pitcher Jared Marolf and the other from freshman reliever Jaxon Passino. In 24 games on the year, the staff has given up 84 walks, but have struck out 163 batters.

The defense for K-State has committed 33 errors. Sophomore outfielder Cameron Thompson has fielded 16 double plays to help the pitching staff. Senior infielder Trent McMaster has 148 putouts, and junior catcher TK McWhertor has four passed balls.

Omaha’s Grant Suponchick leads the Mavericks with a .389 batting average and a .556 slugging percentage. Suponchick has a .459 on-base percentage, but has just one home run on the season. Keil Krumwiede has driven in 18 runs and has drawn 16 walks.

The Omaha pitching staff is led in ERA by Joey Machado with a 3.24 ERA. Machado leads the rotation with 33.1 innings pitched and has started six games for Omaha. He also has thrown three wild pitches.

This game will be a one-game break between conference play when they play the University of Texas over the weekend, starting on Thursday night. If that Wildcats can be consistent on offense when they have good pitching, their record could quickly improve.

Fans not able to attend Tuesday night’s game between K-State and Omaha can watch for free on kstatesports.com.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.