Baseball begins weekend series against Texas Longhorns with 5-2 win

0
48
Sophmore Caleb Littlejim pitches against the Omaha Mavericks on March 27, 2018. (Alex Shaw | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State baseball team began its three-game home series with the University of Texas with games on Thursday with a 5-2 victory over the Longhorns, and the teams will play again Friday and Saturday at Tointon Family Stadium.

The Wildcats come into the series after breaking a four-game skid Tuesday night in a 3-0 win over the University of Omaha Mavericks. Texas is on a three-game win streak, including two-of-three against in-conference foe Oklahoma State.

The Longhorns are 5-1 in conference play with a sweep of Kansas on top of the two wins against Oklahoma State. Overall, Texas is 16-10 for the season.

K-State was swept in a three-game series by No. 15 TCU in their only Big 12 series. They sit at just one game over .500 with a record of 13-12.

Texas has played a significantly more difficult schedule to this point this year, including series against seventh-ranked Stanford and at No. 23 LSU. They won the first game of the Stanford series 8-6 and the last game of the LSU series 11-1.

K-State has played one-off games against two ranked opponents and has visited No. 17 TCU for a three-game series. They are winless in matchups with ranked opponents.

Wildcat pitchers need to be aware of junior infielder Kody Clemens, who slugs a very high .681 and has seven home runs already in the season. He leads the Longhorns in home runs and is second in RBIs with 24 on the year already.

Clemens also has the highest batting average of qualified players — those that have appeared in 75 percent of games and average 2 or more plate appearances per game played — with a .352 batting average.

K-State’s offense is led by sophomore outfielder Will Brennan, who bats .404 on the season, but is mostly a singles hitter.

The Wildcat’s best slugger is junior outfielder Drew Mount; he slugs .625 and has seven home runs on the year.

Texas’ pitching staff as a whole boasts a team ERA of 4.42, and they give up an opponent batting average of just .250.

K-State allows opponents to bat .301 and has a team ERA of 5.22. They have given up 27 home runs already this season.

The second game of the series will be on Friday at 6:30 p.m. inside Tointon Family Stadium.