K-State track and field to compete in California this weekend

0
117
Nina Schultz, a freshman in agriculture, prepares to throw shot put at the Deloss Dodds Invitational on Jan 20, 2017. (File Photo by Regan Tokos, The Collegian)

The Kansas State track and field team will travel to Hayward, California, to compete in the San Francisco State Distance Carnival on Friday and Saturday after some impressive appearances already this season.

This meet is hosted by San Francisco State University at Chabot College due to damage at the university’s track. This will be the 11th year for the meet to be hosted since it started in 2008.

Friday’s events will include jumps and distance races. Saturday will include events from throws, sprints, hurdles, relays, 800 meter, one mile and two-mile races.

K-State track and field teams have had a lot of success this season throughout multiple meets. The last two that the teams competed were the NCAA Indoor Championships in College Station, Texas, on March 9 and 10 and the RoadRunner Invitational in San Antonio, Texas March 22-24.

In Texas, Sophomore Nina Schultz received two All-American honors at the NCAA Indoor Championships. Schultz placed second in the women’s pentathlon final with a score of 4,467 points. She also finished second in the pentathlon long jump with a distance of 6.21 meters/20.04-.50. Her jump for a distance of 6.03 meters/19-09.50 put her in 11th overall to help her gain her second-team All-American honors.

Senior Terrell Smith set a school record and personal best in the men’s 200 meters prelims. This was the third time Smith has broken the school record this season. Smith ran a 20.81 to help him place ninth overall, earning second-team All-American honors.

“I was feeling good when I was running, it was a phenomenal run,” said Smith to K-State Sports. “I had family come out, I had friends in the stands so there is nothing better than I can ask for.”

The women’s team, ranked No. 7 going into the RoadRunner Invitational, finished third overall in this meet behind Texas A&M and Baylor. The men’s team also placed third and following the same opposing schools.

“This was a very high-quality meet for this early in the season,” said Cliff Rovelto, director of track and field and cross country, to K-State Sports. “We had some outstanding opening marks and accomplished a great deal. If we can continue to build on this we will end up being a very solid team.”

Junior Shadae Lawrence who competed in the women’s discus, broke the meet and facility record. This was the first meet Lawrence competed in since the NCAA championship in 2017 in the same event. Freshman Taylor Latimer finished fifth in the discus with a throw of 49.01 meters/16-09 for her outdoor season debut in the event.

Freshman Tejaswin Shankar tied for sixth in K-State outdoor history in the men’s high jump. This also broke the meet and facility record for this event.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.