Track and field claims multiple events in Kansas and California over weekend

0
45
Then-sophomore Simone Fassina practices pole vaulting at the K-State track meet in Ahearn Field House on Feb. 17, 2017. (John Benfer | Collegian Media group)

The Kansas State men’s and women’s track and field teams competed in the Emporia State Relays and sent four athletes to Hayward, California, this weekend, where they claimed multiple events and had several impressive performances.

“These meets are important for them to have an opportunity to make the conference team,” head coach Cliff Rovelto said to K-State Sports.

At the San Francisco Distance Carnival on Friday morning, seniors Jeff Bachman, Bryan Zack, Brett Bachman and Colton Donahue competed against 33 other runners in the second round of the men’s 10,000-meter race.

The California group was led by Jeff Bachman, placing 38th of the 108 runners with a time of 31:01.07. Zack finished in 31:45.96 to place 63rd, and Brett Bachman came in at 33:21.00 to finish in 86th.

Back in Kansas, the Wildcats claimed three event victories and had several impressive performances at the Emporia State Relays on Saturday.

Sophomore Ashley Petr took first in both the women’s discus and women’s hammer throw for the Wildcats. Petr was able to claim the win in the women’s weight throw on her second attempt. This throw was for a distance of 51.08 meters, followed by her best throw of 54.29 meters.

Petr won women’s discus with a second throw of 48.51 meters.

Freshman Taylor Latimer followed Petr and finished third in the weight throw event with a throw of 49.60 meters.

Freshman Victoria Robinson made her outdoor season debut on Saturday in Emporia, placing second in the women’s 800 meters with a time of 2:18.20.

Freshman Ethan Powell also made his outdoor debut for the Wildcats in the men’s 5,000 meters. Powell kept up toward the front of the group throughout the race and was able to pass Colton Green of Rogers State toward the end of the race.

Powell eventually pulled out a first-place finish in the men’s 5,000-meter race with a final lap time of 1:01.96. This was Powell’s first collegiate outdoor meet for K-State, winning the event with a time of 14:56.80.

Senior Sam Oxandale finished 16th in the men’s 800 meters with a time of 2:00.35, and junior Tom Pyle completed the men’s 100 meters in 11.04.

The Wildcats had two athletes place in the men’s javelin event. Sophomore Logan Wolfley and freshman Dawson Miller placed seventh and 17th, respectively. Wolfley threw 53.89 meters, and Miller threw 45.12 meters in the event.

The next competition for K-State track and field will be at the Jim Click Shootout in Tucson, Arizona, starting Thursday and ending on Saturday.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.