Baseball team’s offense steals series against Texas

0
71
Freshman Jordan Maxson pitches against the Omaha Mavericks on Mar. 27, 2018. The Wildcats won 3-0. (Alex Shaw | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State baseball team put on an exciting performance at home this weekend against the Texas Longhorns in their second Big 12 Conference series of the young season. The Wildcats won the series 2-1, their first series win in conference play.

On Thursday night, the series kicked off with K-State winning 5-2. The Wildcats gave themselves some room for error early on, scoring three runs in the second inning.

Junior catcher TK McWhertor and freshman second baseman Brett Owen led the hitting in game one. McWhertor registered three hits, two RBIs and scored one run himself. Owen had two hits and two RBIs in three at-bats. The duo was responsible for all three runs scored in the second inning.

Sophomore pitcher Kasey Ford was great in the series-opening win. Ford, who put in five and one-thirds innings of work, allowed just two hits and one run. Ford is now 4-1 this season.

The Wildcats gained another win in game two on Friday. The 11-10 win came in dramatic fashion with a walk-off in the ninth inning.

Heading into the ninth inning, it seemed like K-State was going to coast to victory. At that point, the team held a 10-3 lead.

Texas proved, however, that no lead is too big. The Longhorns scored a whopping seven runs in the top of the ninth to tie things up at 10. Those seven runs came after the Wildcats had already sealed up two outs.

Fortunately, the Wildcats stopped bleeding points, and K-State had a chance to win the game before it went into extra innings.

Owen led the bottom of the ninth with a single. Following that, two Wildcat batters were hit by pitches to load up the bases for sophomore shortstop Cameron Thompson. Thompson was already having a big day, but it was about to get even bigger.

Thompson stepped up to the plate and singled the middle, sending Owen home for the game-winning run.

The walk-off hit put a cap on Thompson’s career night. He went a perfect five-for-five from the plate, racking up two RBIs, three runs and a career-high five hits.

K-State could not quite finish the sweep of the Longhorns on Saturday. The Wildcats fell 5-9 in the final game of the series.

Things looked good through three innings, with the Wildcats holding a 5-2 lead.

Just two innings later, the tables turned. In the fifth inning, Texas fired off seven runs to take a 9-5 lead. Unlike Friday night, the Wildcats could not overcome Texas’ seven-run inning.

K-State’s series win against the Longhorns was their first since 2013 and the first at home since 1998. Defeating Texas also gave some life to the team, which lost its first conference series against TCU 0-3.

The Wildcats now hold a 15-13 record as they prepare to face the Creighton Bluejays on Wednesday in Omaha, Nebraska.

Jarrett Whitson
I’m Jarrett Whitson, the sports editor this semester. I’m from Blue Rapids, KS, a town of just over 1,000 people about 40 miles north of Manhattan. I’m a junior in Public Relations, and a member of FarmHouse Fraternity. I love playing and talking about sports— especially college football