K-State baseball can even season series with Creighton Wednesday night

0
75
Sophmore Caleb Littlejim pitches against the Omaha Mavericks on March 27. (Alex Shaw | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State baseball team will try to build on a series win from this weekend when they travel to Omaha, Nebraska, to play the University of Creighton on Wednesday night.

The last time the two teams met, K-State lost to Creighton inside Tointon Family Stadium in Manhattan. K-State pitching gave up 13 runs while the offense did not do much to help as they were only able to score three runs.

The Wildcats are 1-2 against Creighton over the last three years. The last time they played Creighton in Omaha was in March 2016. There, they lost 5-4.

K-State is now 15-13 overall, 2-4 in Big 12 play after its series with the University of Texas.

K-State hosted the Texas over the weekend, taking the series 2-3. This was the first time that the Wildcats have won a series against the Longhorns since the 2013 season.

Creighton is 16-6 and riding a six-game win streak into Wednesday. The Bluejays scored 19 runs over the weekend while allowing 12 to the University of Evansville in a three-game series.

Junior outfielder Clark Brinkman leads the Creighton team with a .370 batting average, followed by junior catcher Michael Emodi, who is hitting .330 on the year.

Junior left-handed pitcher Denson Hull has the lowest earned run average among the Creighton pitchers with a 1.23 ERA.

In the last matchup between these two teams, K-State was outpitched, resulting in its third loss in 13 games. The Wildcats used six pitchers in the game, and Creighton scored 11 unanswered runs.

Freshman pitcher Quinton Potter started the day on the mound for K-State and went 3.1 innings while giving up four runs, two of which were earned on five hits.

Creighton’s relief pitching over the last 6.2 innings did not let up any more than when they started the game. They struck out seven Wildcat hitters while allowing only three hits and one unearned run while issuing one walk.

Junior pitcher Evan Johnson was credited with the win for the Bluejays after a perfect inning of relief work.

The Wildcats will need their defense to help win this game and keep from committing any errors, as they had three in the last game against the Bluejays.

The first pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.