Track and field to compete in Jim Click Shootout

0
67
Then-senior pentathlete Akela Jones jumps toward a height of 1.85 meters in the pentathlon high jump on her way to breaking the K-State and Ahearn Fieldhouse pentathlon records with a total score of 4,643 points at the DeLoss Dodds Invitational track and field meet on Jan. 22, 2016. (File photo by Parker Robb | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State men’s and women’s track and field team will travel to Tucson, Arizona, this week to compete in the Jim Click Shootout.

The two-portion event will take place Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The first portion is the combined events that will take place the first two days, and the second portion — the shootout — will include the track and field events on the final day of the event.

The Wildcats were last in action over the weekend in the San Francisco State Distance Carnival on March 30-31 and the Emporia State Relays on March 31, where they claimed three event victories.

Sophomore Ashley Petr is coming off event victories in both the women’s hammer throw and discus in Emporia, Kansas. She claimed the women’s hammer throw on her second attempt with a throw of 54.29m, then claimed the women’s discus with a throw of 48.51m.

Freshmen Ethan Powell and Victoria Robinson are both coming off strong performances in their first collegiate outdoor meet. Powell is coming off an event win in the men’s 5,000 meters, running 14:56.80.

Robinson placed second place the women’s 800 meters with a run of 2:18.20. She finished the race strong by making ground from third place to second place with a 1:09.24 sprint in the final lap.

Petr, Powell and Robinson will be build on their performances as they head out to the desert for the Jim Click Combined Events and Jim Click Shootout. This event is another stepping stone for them as they continue to reach that goal of earning themselves a spot on the conference team.

Coverage of the Jim Click Shootout will be on @KStateTFXC and @kstatesports on Twitter, as well as on Kansas State Track and Field/Cross Country on Facebook.