K-State rowing to compete in Big 12 Dual this weekend

0
114
A foggy morning is just one of the atmosphere's the women's rowing team has to deal with when practicing. The varsity team rows back to the dock on Apr. 8, 2015 at Tuttle Creek Lake in Manhattan. (File Photo by Rodney Dimick | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State rowing team will travel to Kansas City, Kansas, to compete at the Big 12 Dual on Saturday after several first place finishes in events so far this season.

K-State will get to race head-to-head with the University of Tennessee and the University of Alabama.

This will be the second year for the Big 12 Dual event. The inaugural dual was held in April 2017, and teams rowed on the Oklahoma River in Oklahoma City. The other teams who raced against K-State included the University of Oklahoma and the University of Texas.

The only win for the Wildcats in this dual last April came by way of their 3v8 boat against Oklahoma. K-State led the race wire-to-wire against Oklahoma and finished in 7:57.68. Oklahoma finished just under eight seconds slower.

This season the Wildcats have traveled for five weekend competitions, one of which was a scrimmage with Oklahoma to help prepare for the rest of the season. This was also to see some live action against conference opponents.

The previous two races for K-State were in California over the last two weekends. First there was the Hornet Invitational where the Wildcats took first in eight races. The second was the San Diego Crew Classic where they had five boats qualify for the grand final.

The Hornet Invitational included competition from St. Mary’s, Gonzaga and Sacramento State. K-State surpassed St. Mary’s in three head-to-head races with the 1v8+, 2v8+, and v4+ boats. K-State’s 3v8+ boat placed first against Gonzaga to finish off the morning. Against Sacramento State, the 3v8+ boat for the Wildcats came in first in 7:51.1.

In the San Diego Crew Classic, the 1v8+ boat finished third in the 2,000 meter course to qualify for the grand final. The Wildcat boat finished this race in 7:16.83.

The 2v8+ boat raced against the University of Victoria, Gonzaga, Tennessee, Sacramento State and San Diego State on Sunday. K-State finished in 7:24.85, which was good enough to put them in fourth among the rest of the opposing teams.

The Big 12 Dual on Saturday will begin with the 1v8+ heats, which start at 9 a.m.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.