Music, food and fun planned for K-State’s All-University Open House

0
143
K-State Marching Band members perform the Wabash Cannonball at McCain's instrumental petting zoo during K-State's Open House on April 11, 2015. (Cassandra Nguyen | The Collegian)

On Saturday, Kansas State will celebrate its annual All-University Open House, inviting visitors from near and far to explore what the university has to offer.

From 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Manhattan campus, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Olathe and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the K-State Polytechnic campus in Salina, students and visitors can engage with K-State’s many programs and fields of study.

Activities from each K-State college will be spread around campus. For example, the College of Agriculture will host food science experiments and an insect petting zoo in Waters Hall. The College of Architecture, Planning and Design will have materials available for guests to build their own structures in Seaton Hall.

Certain departments will also engage with the public during Open House. The Department of English will provide the “Poet in the Box” event in the Student Union Courtyard, where participants can have a poem custom-written for them.

Visitors can sample sweets made by K-Staters at the Bakery Science Club bake sale in Shellenberger Hall. Different varieties of cookies and breads will be sold.

“Our production managers Emily Stangel and Aaron Goerl have been at the bake lab day and night for the past two weeks preparing the products for our open house sale,” Katelyn Lee, sophomore in bakery science, said.

Lee said the bake sale will be held on the second floor of Shellenberger.

“We will all welcome any visitors and show them a little bit about grain science and hope they fall in love with it like all of us have,” Lee said.

In addition to academic displays, many groups and clubs will showcase their skills. The K-State Tap Ensemble will perform at 12:30 p.m. in the Union Ballroom. Later, hear the K-State Marching Band and Drumline perform in Forum Hall at 2:30 p.m.

Pat Bosco, vice president for student life and dean of students, said the pride for this school showcased at the Open House is amazing.

“The All-University Open House is a tradition that so many schools would love to replicate and simply cannot,” Bosco said. “The reason they fail: they do not enjoy the level of student engagement, energy and passion for their school that sometimes we take for granted here.”

A full schedule of events can be found on the All-University Open House webpage.

Dene Dryden
I'm Dene Dryden, a junior in English creative writing and the managing editor for the Collegian. I love practicing the art of editing and writing stories about interesting people. I also work with the Kansas Science Communication Initiative and the National FFA Organization. My cat Robyn is the light of my life, and I take my coffee black.