Wildcats return to the court against West Virginia after twelve days off

0
21
Freshman Rosanna Maffei returns the ball against North Texas on Feb. 9, 2018 at Body First Indoor Tennis Center. The Wildcats won 4 matches to 3. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State tennis team is now in Morgantown, West Virginia, today to take on the West Virginia University Mountaineers after 12 days off.

The Mountaineers are 1-2 in Big 12 play. They will go into the match on a three-match winning streak. This match will be important for West Virginia as they play the No.16 Kansas Jayhawks after K-State.

The No. 35 Wildcats are 12-5 overall with a 2-2 record in Big 12 play. The Wildcats have a chance to come out strong like they did earlier this year after over a week off, and assert themselves at the top of the Big 12.

Head coach Danielle Steinberg said she thinks the long break was good for her team.

“I think it was a good thing,” Steinberg said to K-State Sports. “We had a tough match at Texas Tech and, physically, I think we were getting a little tired, so this break came at a good time. We got some complete days off where they didn’t even have to go to school. That makes a big difference when they can rest from everything and just sleep in and relax. I think they’re energized and ready to go.”

The Wildcats have already accomplished many things this season so far. They have matched the number of wins from last season. They also defeated No. 21 Baylor for the first time since 2011. They also defeated TCU for the first time in program history.

Their 12-5 start is the best start K-State tennis has had since the 2010-11 season. With six games remaining on the schedule, the Wildcats will look to come out strong again after a long break and finish the season strong.

K-State has a 4-1 record in singles, and it hasn’t been one big player that has led the way to the 4-1 record. Three different Wildcats have clinched one of the four wins.

During the 12-day break, the Wildcats mainly focused on their doubles play. The Wildcats have yet to win a doubles point in their four conference matches. If they figure out the issues with doubles, and continue to be strong in singles, this team can be very dangerous in their six remaining matches.

Matches between the Wildcats and the Mountaineers begin today at 2:30 p.m.