Proposed DPC move to the Office of Diversity canceled

0
120

After internal pushback from within Student Governing Association and the Diversity Programming Committee, the proposed legislation meant to move the committee to the Office of Diversity did not come up for final action during Thursday’s senate meeting, the last of its session.

Tendai Munyanyi, chair of the DPC and senior in management, said in a committee meeting that the choice to put the brakes on the proposition was the result of conversations he had with multicultural student organizations and other SGA members.

“Number one: there was a miscommunication, but also people felt the process was too fast,” Munyanyi said.

Munyanyi said after the speaker pro tempore, who will serve as the de facto chair of the committee, is selected for the next senate session, he intends to speak with them about proceeding with the move, if that is something they are interested in pursuing.

Instead of taking action on the legislation, Munyanyi addressed the governing body about canceling the series of amendments, reinforcing his statements to the DPC about discussing the move with the next speaker pro tempore.

Additionally, the resolution officially recommending the creation of a multicultural student center appeared for final action after being introduced earlier in the term.

“This has been in the works for many, many years now,” Darrell Reese, president of the Black Student Union and junior in human resources, said. “Now, all the right pieces are in place to where we can really go at this full force.”

The resolution, which cited the fact that Kansas State is the only remaining university in the Big 12 to not have a multicultural student center, passed unanimously.

The 2017-2018 student senate body adjourned for the last time just after 11 p.m. The newly elected senators will be sworn in on April 12 at 7 p.m. in the Wildcat Chamber to begin serving in the 2018-2019 student senate term.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.