Both Wildcat track teams turn in good performances at Jim Click Shootout

0
38
Then-sophomore decathlete Adam Deterding clears a hurdle en route to a second-place finish during the K-State Open track and field meet at Ahearn Field House on Feb. 20, 2015. (Archive Photo by Parker Robb | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State men’s and women’s track and field teams set personal records and claimed victories this weekend at the Jim Click Shootout in Tucson, Arizona.

The women’s team, ranked tenth nationally, won the shootout with 154 points, and the men’s team finished in fourth place with 100 points. The weekend began with the combined events on Thursday and Friday and then the shootout on Saturday.

In the combined events on Friday, freshman decathlete Aaron Booth totaled 7,397 points along with multiple event victories in his K-State debut.

Booth won the decathlon, having a strong second day to secure the victory. In the men’s discus throw, Booth won the event with a throw of 39.27 meters. He then went on to take the lead in the men’s javelin with a throw of 56.71 meters.

He had 6,747 points going into the final event: the 1,500-meter race.

In the 1,500 meters, Booth completed his debut with a time of 4:44.80, sealing his victory in the decathlon.

For the women’s team, sophomores Lauren Taubert and Ariel Okorie also had good performances in the combined events. They both set personal bests in the 800 meters, with Taubert running a 2:14.72 and placing second. Okorie ran a 2:22.92.

Up next was the shootout portion of the weekend.

In the women’s competition, K-State had five event victories to attain its 154 points and achieve overall victory. Senior Janee’ Kassanavoid set a school record in the hammer throw, throwing 67.38 meters on her third attempt. Her record-breaking throw won the event as well.

Along with Kassanavoid, two other Wildcats contributed to a total of 23 points in the hammer throw. Sophomore Helene Ingvaldsen had a throw of 63.09 meters to place her in second, and freshman Shaelyn Ward had a throw of 54.28 meters to place fourth.

In the women’s discus, the Wildcats took care of business, winning the event with 20 points, led by junior Shadae Lawrence’s winning throw of 57.89 meters.

Sophomore Ashley Petr, Big 12 Athlete of the Week, took third with her now personal best throw of 49.83 meters. Freshman Taylor Latimer finished in fourth place with a throw of 47.65 meters.

The Wildcats’ 4×100 meter relay team — sophomore Wurrie Njadoe and seniors A’Keyla Mitchell, Ranae McKenzie and Claudette Allen — won the relay with a time of 44.44.

McKenzie got off to a hot start in the women’s 400-meter hurdles this season. She won the race by setting a personal best and the eighth fastest time in the NCAA this season with a 57.81. Junior Shardia Lawrence also put her name up for an NCAA season record, with 13.26 meters in the women’s triple jump.

In the men’s competition, there were some good performances that contributed to the 100-points fourth place finish.

Senior Mitch Dixon once again dominated the men’s hammer throw. He won the event with a throw of 65.12 meters.

Junior Kurt Loevenstein and sophomore Travis Hodge had good performances in the men’s 800 meters, both setting personal records. Loevenstein ran a 1:51.53 placing fifth, and Hodge ran a 1:52.40 placing seventh.