K-State rowing earns pair of victories at Big 12 Double Dual

0
114
The varsity rowing team performs a routine on April 8, 2015 at Tuttle Creek Lake in Manhattan. (Archive Photo by Rodney Dimick | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State rowing team took first in two events against Alabama and Tennessee at the Big 12 Double Dual in Kansas City, Kansas, on Saturday.

The first win for the Wildcats was by their 3v8+ boat that finished in 6:57.998 against Tennessee, who finished in 7:09.515.

“They are racing really hard and really going for it; today they showed that they are not backing off,” head coach Patrick Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “But you can see the difference in water time. The difference between the other crews and ours is how much time has been spent on the water.”

After the Wildcats beat Tennessee, Alabama was the next opponent for K-State. The 2v8+ boat for the Wildcats was able to pull ahead of Alabama and just barely claim victory in 6:44.070. Alabama finished the race in 6:45.070.

“They really did a good job; the second varsity eight boat is the boat that really impressed me today,” Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “This afternoon they were much better. They were sharp and raced really well.”

The 1v8+ boat for K-State fell behind Alabama, finishing in 6:50.869.

This was the first set of races for the Wildcats since they competed in the San Diego Crew Classic from March 24 to 25.

“I think our team is battling very well given the circumstances.” Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “If we can get on the water and work on some things, I know this team has great potential moving forward.”

Oklahoma finished perfect in their races over the weekend, and Tennessee won eight races at the Big 12 Double Dual.

The next set of races for the K-State rowing team will be at the Southern Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championship Regatta from April 21 to 22. The SIRA Championship Regatta will be held in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.