K-State baseball set to take on Nebraska Tuesday

0
64
Junior catcher, TK McWhertor, prepares for an at-bat during the K-State baseball game against La Salle on Mar. 4, 2018. The Wildcats beat the Explorers 5-1. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State baseball team will host the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers in the first game of a two-game season series Tuesday in Tointon Family Stadium.

The Cornhuskers are 14-16 on the year and 3-8 in true road games. They are on a four-game losing streak.

The Wildcats enter the game 14-17 and 11-9 at home. They are on a five-game losing streak.

In terms of common opponents with K-State, Nebraska has only played Creighton, a 3-1 loss on the road. K-State lost both games against Creighton 8-3 in Omaha, Nebraska, and 13-3 in Manhattan.

The Cornhuskers will enter the game well rested. They had a scheduled off day on Monday, and before that played just three games in nine days due to weather postponing or canceling three scheduled games.

The Wildcats have the opposite problem; they have not had an off day since Friday after their series with Oklahoma State was shifted back a day to account for expected snow.

K-State pitchers will need to focus in on stopping senior outfielder Scott Schreiber, who is crushing opposing pitchers. His batting average is an astounding .413 he has hit 11 homeruns this season and slugs .769.

He has 20 more hits and eight more runs scored than the next closest player in each statistic. He also leads the team with 30 RBIs.

Schreiber also leads all Nebraska starters with a .987 fielding percentage. He has only committed two errors all year and has put out a team-leading 138 batters himself.

When it comes to pitching, it is hard to predict who will be the starting pitcher in college baseball, but the Cornhuskers’ pitching staff has a team ERA of 5.17.

The Wildcats will try to take advantage of the Cornhusker pitching staff, who recently gave up 17 runs to Michigan State and 15 to Ohio State in two of their previous three games.

K-State’s sophomore outfielder Will Brennan is K-State leading offensive player, who is batting .367 on the year. Most of those hits are singles though, he has yet to leave the yard and only has 16 RBIs. Brennan has scored the most runs of any Wildcat, 32.

Junior outfielder Drew Mount is the Wildcat’s most prolific offensive weapon. He has tallied a team-leading eight home runs and 32 RBIs, almost double anyone else. His batting average is only .270, though. He leads K-State with a .568 slugging percentage.

K-State will make the return trip to Lincoln, Nebraska to finish the two-game series on April 17.