KSDB REVIEW: ‘My Dear Melancholy’ is some of The Weeknd’s best work

0
25
(My Dear Melancholy by The Weekend)

Canadian songwriter and award-winning R&B artist The Weeknd recently released his newest album on March 30 called “My Dear Melancholy,” and it’s essential listening.

Even though there are only six songs, you can still hear the passion and heartbreak in each song. Listening to the psychedelic vibes of his unique mixture of pop and R&B, I can only envision this album being recorded in a room full of smoke.

The album starts with a song called “Call Out My Name.” Basically, this sounds like a depressing version of his prior hits, “Earned It” and “Wicked Games.”

You can’t help but wonder who was the culprit in this heartbreak. Many fans and gossip gurus believe that The Weeknd’s ex, pop singer Selena Gomez, is the source of his pain.

Following this notion, “Try Me” — with its typical smooth vibe and booming bass — could be perceived as a direct message for this “mystery lady” to come to her senses and come back to him.

The chorus says it all: “Can you try me? Once you put your pride aside, can you notify me? / You’re the best I ever had. Can you remind me?” For all the gentlemen trying to get back with their ex, this could be an effective go-to song.

“Wasted Times” is about the woman he had relations with to get over his true love. Per the title, it was a waste of his time.

After sleeping around with other women, he realizes that’s all he wanted from these women, and that he never has intentions of being with them. In the words of Drake, “That’s just something to do when there’s nothing to do.”

Following these emotionless relations, he now wants to know if this “mystery lady” feels the same as him.

“I Was Never There” is the climax of the album. He has hit a breaking point, almost rock bottom. The sound is almost suicidal as he must shift to his next phase in life: acceptance.

The album ends with “Hurt You” and “Privilege,” which are about him proclaiming his savagery. He now is going back to his old self — just pleasure, no emotion.

This album is definitely a must. If you’ve ever experienced a heartbreak, the album will take the feelings you had and make them into poetry.

You will most definitely be in your feelings after listening to this project. But hey, a good songwriter can make you feel that way.

Tiffany Horne is a senior in mass communications writing on behalf of KSDB, Kansas State’s student-run radio station. The views and opinions expressed in this review are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Collegian or KSDB. Please send comments to opinion@kstatecollegian.com and visit ksdbfm.org for more reviews.