SGA installs new term of elected representatives, begins selection of Speaker

0
146
Jordan Kiehl is sworn into office as student body president in the K-State Student Union on April 12, 2018. (Conrad Kabus | Collegian Media Group)

In the first meeting of the 2018-2019 student senate term, the Student Governing Association swore in Jordan Kiehl, junior in industrial engineering, to be student body president, replacing Jack Ayres, senior in chemical engineering.

Lacy Pitts, junior in agricultural economics, took over the position of student body vice president.

The senate also welcomed new senators and saw nominations of student senators Faith Tuttle, junior in political science, and Ryan Kelly, sophomore in civil engineering, for the speaker of the senate.

Tuttle said that, if selected, one of her top priorities is to create a communications liaison.

“I really think that this position will help increase SGA’s presence and outreach to the student body,” Tuttle said. “I think outreach is incredibly important and something that SGA has really kind of struggled with in the past.”

Tuttle said she wants to go beyond the intern program “to bridge the gap” present between the student body and SGA by increasing overall accessibility and availability of elected members of SGA, as well as outreach materials.

“I think that we really need to focus on outreach as SGA,” Tuttle said. “Just communication and making sure that we are getting the word out there so that we’re not just in the body, we’re actually reaching out to the whole entire student body.”

Kelly said he would also focus on accessibility to SGA, as well as empowerment of and engagement with the general student population.

“We can’t be thinking in that traditional sense anymore, we have to go beyond that,” Kelly said. “We’ve got to push to be more inclusive, and I think I bring that to the table.”

Kelly said that he thinks he is prepared for the role of speaker because he has cultivated relationships with administrators and played a large role in the success of the Accelerated Fellowship Program, an educational program that ran earlier this semester to open the door to SGA involvement.

In the absence of committee meetings, no legislation was introduced or voted on in final action. The student senate will reconvene at 7 p.m. April 19 in the Wildcat Chamber to finish selection of the speaker and see nominations for speaker pro tempore.

I'm Kaylie McLaughlin, the assistant news editor this semester. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnees, KS. My background focuses mostly on broadcasting and digital media, but I've always loved writing. I'm a sophomore in journalism and mass communications with a minor in French and a secondary focus in International and Area Studies. In my free time, I like drinking coffee and reading news magazines.