Track and field teams place second and third at Texas Invitational

0
88
Then-junior heptathlete Reinis Kregers lunges out of the block as the starting gun fires to begin the men's 4x400-meter relay at the DeLoss Dodds Invitational track & field meet in Ahearn Field House on Jan. 24, 2015. (Archive Photo by Parker Robb | Collegian Media Group)

The Texas Invitational was highlighted by impressive performances and new records from the Kansas State track and field teams in Austin, Texas, on Friday and Saturday.

On day one of the event, senior Mitch Dixon broke the school record in the men’s hammer throw on his first attempt with a throw of 67.14 meters. This broke his previous hammer throw record of 65.95 meters.

“I was just trying to get a good rhythm and stay patient on my first throw. I think just by relaxing I was able to get a good one out there,” Dixon said to K-State Sports. “It means a lot, but it also means that I have to start working a lot harder. I think I have a lot more in me, and Coach [Watson] thinks I have more left. So, my goal is to just keep getting better each meet.”

For the women’s team, sophomore Wurrie Njadoe won the women’s long jump with a distance of 6.16 meters, followed by fellow sophomore Konstantina Romaiou, whose jump was a personal best of 5.98 meters.

Senior Janee’ Kassanavoid and sophomore Helene Ingvaldsen, who have placed first and second in three meets this season, did so again on Friday. Kassanavoid competed in the women’s hammer throw and placed first with a throw of 65.09 meters. Ingvaldsen finished second with a throw of 63.76 meters.

Back on the men’s team, senior Colton Donahue ran in the men’s 3,000-meter steeplechase race and won the event with a time of 9:35.37. Freshman Ethan Powell placed second with a time of 9:50.57.

Seniors Terrell Smith and A’Keyla Mitchell ran in the 200-meter sprints for the men’s and women’s events, respectively. Smith was the fastest collegian in the men’s event with a time of 20.60 (5.4). Mitchell’s 23.24 made her the third fastest collegian in the women’s competition.

Day two of the invitational resulted in nine top-three finishes for K-State athletes.

Junior Shadae Lawrence won the women’s discus with her finish of 58.68 meters.

The men’s discus event saw junior Brett Neelly finish third with a throw of 52.73 meters. Three Wildcats placed in the top seven of the women’s discus.

Shardia Lawrence and Romaiou placed first and second, respectively, in the women’s triple jump. Shardia had the winning jump of 13.24 meters and Romaiou jumped a distance of 12.85 meters.

In the women’s 400-meter hurdles, sophomore Lauren Taubert ran a personal best of 1:00.12. In the 100-meter race, Njadoe and senior Claudette Allen finished sixth and 10th in the event, respectively.

The next meet for the Wildcats will be on Wednesday when they travel to Lawrence to compete in the Kansas Relays Quadrangular. This meet will include teams from Kansas, Nebraska and Harvard.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.