Baseball team hits the road to play Cornhuskers Tuesday

0
20

Amidst a season-worst losing streak, the Kansas State baseball team is set to take on the University of Nebraska at Haymarket Park in Lincoln, Nebraska, on Tuesday.

K-State travels to Lincoln looking to avenge its loss to Nebraska one week ago in Manhattan.

The previous matchup against the Cornhuskers saw the teams battle back and forth. After one inning, the Wildcats had a 2-0 lead, and the teams were trading runs after that.

K-State scored three runs in the seventh inning to take a 9-7 lead. Nebraska answered the call in the eighth, scoring four runs in the top of the eighth to go up 11-9. They shutout K-State in the bottom half of the inning, as well as the final inning, to escape with the 11-9 win.

Junior catcher Jesse Wilkening blasted a three-run homer in that eighth inning to seal the Cornhusker victory. Overall, Wilkening went 2-3 that evening, batting in four runs and scoring three himself.

Sophomore shortstop Cameron Thompson had a nice outing last time out against Nebraska. He went 3-5 at the plate, scoring a run and four RBIs. That performance marked his third multi-hit game in the last four. After that, he went hitless in the first two games of the Texas Tech series, but obtained one hit in game three, so will be looking to get back on track in Lincoln.

Not only will K-State be looking to avenge its week-old loss to Nebraska, it will also be looking to snap a string of nine straight losses. The Wildcats have not been victorious since March 30 against the University of Texas.

The Wildcats are currently 15-21 overall on the season with a 2-10 Big 12 record. They were most recently swept by 3-0 by Texas Tech in Lubbock, Texas. K-State put up a fight in the final game, losing 9-6 after giving up 20-plus runs in the first two games.

Right now, the Cornhuskers own a 16-17 overall record and are 3-7 in Big Ten contests. In their last series, they split two games with Iowa, losing 7-1 in game one and stealing game two, 10-4. Game three was canceled due to weather.

First pitch between these former Big 12 rivals is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. The game will be televised via the Big Ten Network, and KMAN radio will broadcast it as well.

Jarrett Whitson
I’m Jarrett Whitson, the sports editor this semester. I’m from Blue Rapids, KS, a town of just over 1,000 people about 40 miles north of Manhattan. I’m a junior in Public Relations, and a member of FarmHouse Fraternity. I love playing and talking about sports— especially college football