Shear quality: Barber Randy Sievers has fans in MHK

0
460

Behind every haircut is a creator, a barber, a stylist. In Manhattan, Kansas, one such artist lives among us, putting his personal touch on the head of many unique haircuts.

Randy Sievers, barber at 3rd Street Hair Cuts, has been cutting hair for the past 41 years, living and working in Manhattan for the past eight.

Sievers said he first knew he wanted to be a barber while waiting for a haircut on one cold, dreary day.

“If I were a barber, I would not be working outdoors in the cold and the wet,” said Sievers. “And I thought it would be nice to enjoy some immediate gratification from work.”

Curious about the profession, Sievers questioned his barber about how to do it. and enrolled in the School of Men’s Hairstyling in Wichita six months later. Sievers’ first job after barber school was in Liberal, Kansas.

“I later left Liberal and went back to barber in Wichita for about eight or nine years,” Sievers said. “And then I was in Lawrence for 22 years.”

After Lawrence, Sievers left to do something else he said he loves. With his horse, he spent five years doing guide work on ranches and in Yellowstone National Park.

After his hiatus, Sievers moved to Manhattan, where he has cut hair for the past eight years. He worked at Wildcat Barbershop for most of that time, moving last summer to 3rd Street Hair Cuts.

Sievers said that now six months in he is very pleased with the new workplace.

“A lot of this area has changed in the last eight years,” Sievers said. “Much of the downtown area is getting developed and I am thrilled to see the progress here.”

Even with the move of location, Sievers said he hasn’t seen a drop off in the amount of customers he gets.

“My clients are so faithful and loyal; I am very touched. I think people have even brought more friends with them than ever,” Sievers said. “My clientele did not take a hit at all.”

In pursuit of his passion, Sievers will be travelling to Alaska this June through September to guide tourists through the national forests on horseback. So this summer, his clientele will have to be just as faithful and loyal to their barber as they were during his location move and support him upon his return.

Sievers said his co-worker, Mike, “a wonderful barber,” will be more than happy to assist his regular customers while he is away.

Jordan Green, senior in city planning at Kansas State, said he is more than willing to wait for Sievers to return from his summer job, because Sievers “obviously cares about” forming connections with his customers.

“What I really like about him is that he doesn’t just cut my hair, he does it well,” Green said. “You don’t just have a surface-level conversation with him. He brings up things that you talked about in the past and is interested in forming a relationship with you.”

Stephen Snodgrass, junior in personal financial planning, said he will also be waiting for Sievers to return from his Alaskan trip.

“I’ve never really had a barber before,” Snodgrass said. “As a kid I used to just go to Sports Clips. We have gotten to know each other, it’s not just some random person to sit down and have small talk with.”

It is not yet too late to schedule an appointment with Sievers to hear about his upcoming trip to Alaska and life as a barber. For appointments, call (785) 776-5197.