K-State rowing will compete in SIRA Championship Regatta this weekend

0
82
The K-State rowing 1st Varsity 8 boat races Oct. 23 at Tuttle Creek Reservoir against KU. (Archive Photo | Collegian Media Group)

After a successful season so far, the Kansas State rowing team will next see competition at the SIRA Championship Regatta on Saturday and Sunday.

The Southern Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championship Regatta will be held in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, on Melton Lake. This will also be the site of the Big 12 Championships on May 12 and 13.

When the Wildcats competed at the SIRA Championship Regatta in 2017, each of their four boats won gold. In fact, they have won medals in each of their boats since 2014.

“There are a number of small, competitive schools competing this weekend,” head coach Patrick Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “One reason we like doing this race is it gives us a chance to see the Big 12 venue. It’s good water. It is one of the better courses in the country. That is why we like to go there.”

There will be five boats on the water during time trials representing the Wildcats. The 2v8+ and 2v8+ boats will begin racing at 9:05 a.m., followed by the 1v4+ and 2v4+ boats at 9:40 and the 1v8+ boat will race at 10:20 a.m.

The last race where K-State competed on open water was the Big 12 Double Dual in Kansas City on April 7. The team collected to race victories with their 3v8+ boat against Tennessee and their 2v8+ boat versus Alabama.

“With the good course, we will likely get five or six sessions on the water while we are there,” Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “For us, the big key is we are getting on the water, so we are looking forward to the water time as much as anything else.”

Several competitions so far for this team have had windy conditions that are not ideal for rowing. This team has pushed through difficult weather conditions and lack of time on open water.

Following the SIRA Championship Regatta, K-State will compete against Kansas in the Sunflower Showdown on April 28 before the Big 12 Championships in Oak Ridge.

K-State will begin their races at 9:05 a.m Saturday, and the finals events will begin at 9 a.m. Sunday.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.