K-State rowing wins multiple events at SIRA Championship Regatta

0
141
Waking up the ducks is just part of what the rowing team does on a chilly morning like this one. The varsity rowing team practices on April 8, 2015, at Tuttle Creek Lake in Manhattan. (Archive photo by Rodney Dimick | Collegian Media Group)

This past weekend in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, the Kansas State rowing team competed at the Southern Intercollegiate Rowing Championship Regatta where the Wildcats earned several first-place finishes.

This team has already earned multiple first-place finishes during this season. With little time to practice on the open water, the Wildcats have seemed to adjust without many issues. This weekend was the first time since the Big 12 Double Dual on April 6 and 7 they had time to compete on open water.

To start off the first day of competition on Saturday, K-State had their 2v8+ and 3v8+ boats place in the first race. The 2v8+ boat won the event in 6:14.060, while the 3v8+ finished fourth in 6:23.921.

The women’s varsity 4+ race time trial saw the Wildcats’ 1v4+ boat placed third with a time of 6:50.574. The 1v8+ boat won the women’s varsity 8+ time trial in 6:00.516.

K-State had five boats finish with qualifying times for the finals on Sunday. The 2v8+ and 3v8+ boats finished first and second with times of 6:57.073 and 7:10.293, respectively. The 1v4+ boat won the women’s varsity 4+ event in 7:27.561 for the ‘A’ Finals on Sunday, while the 2v4+ boat finished fourth to qualify for the ‘B’ finals.

It came down to the semifinals of the women’s varsity 8+ to qualify, but the K-State 1v8+ boat placed first with a time of 6:45.016, allowing them to compete on Sunday.

When Sunday’s set of races started, K-State had five boats competing. All of them placed in the top three of each race. In the first race for the Wildcats, the 2v8+ crew won their event in 6:57.975, and their 3v8+ took second with a time of 7:10.256.

The ‘B’ final event for the women’s varsity 4+ was won by the 2v4+ boat in 8:01.067. The 1v4+ boat finished second in their ‘A’ final race in the women’s varsity 4+ with a time of 7:36.753.

The final race of the day where K-State saw their boats in action was the women’s varsity 8+ finals. The 1v8+ boat completed the race in third place in 6:50.508.

The next competition the Wildcats will be the Sunflower Showdown on Saturday in Kansas City, Kansas, rowing against in-state rival Kansas. The competition’s start time has yet to be announced.

After the Sunflower Showdown, K-State will travel to Oak Ridge once again for the Big 12 Championships on Milton Lake beginning May 12.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.