K-State track wins 12 events at Kansas Relays

0
107
Freshman Helene Ingvaldsen throws shot put at the K-State track meet in Ahearn Field House on Feb. 17, 2017. (John Benfer | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State men’s and women’s track teams both finished in third place at Rock Chalk Park in Lawrence this weekend. The Quadrangular events included host Kansas, K-State, University of Nebraska and Harvard. The No. 11 women’s team scored 164 points, and the men’s team scored 131 points, a season high.

Both teams combined for 12 event victories, but the Wildcats were hoping for more this coming weekend.

“We had a few individuals who performed well given they were in training, but we had quite a few not perform as they should,” Cliff Rovelto, director of track and field and cross country, said to K-State Sports. “There were some logistical issues, and the weather wasn’t the greatest. But we should still give a better effort.”

In the men’s competition, Nebraska won the Relays with 209 points. The Wildcats placed third with some good individual performances.

Senior Terrell Smith won two events and tied for the most points in the men’s quadrangular with Kansas’ Barton Adams at 18 points.

Smith won the men’s 100 meters. He crossed the finish line at 10.36. He then won the men’s 200 meters with a time of 21.05.

Senior Colton Donahue won the men’s steeplechase, finishing with a season-best time of 9:19.14 in the event.

Senior Lukas Koch won the men’s 1,500 meters by running a 3:51.83, and junior Kurt Loevenstein finished behind Koch in second.

In the women’s competition, host Kansas won the Relays scoring 209 points. The Wildcats placed third.

The Wildcats won a pair of events in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. Reigning Big 12 Outdoor Champion senior Morgan Wedekind ran a 10:08.36 to claim the event. Freshman Cara Melgares finished behind Wedekind in second, setting a personal best time of 10:44.16.

Three Wildcats — Shaelyn Ward, Ashley Petr and Taylor Latimer — placed in the top five of the women’s hammer throw. Ward, a freshman, won the event by throwing her personal best of 56.77m. Petr finished third with a throw of 54.71m.

The Wildcats will compete in two competitions this week: the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa — held Wednesday through Saturday — and the Texas Tech Corky/Crofoot Shootout on Friday in Lubbock, Texas.