Baseball team to battle it out in Omaha, Nebraska, tonight

0
23
Senior outfielder Hanz Harker hits the ball during the game against Oklahoma State at Tointon Family Stadium on April 9, 2018. (Sabrina Cline | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State baseball team will travel to the state of Nebraska tonight for the second time this season. The Wildcats’ opponents this time around: the Omaha Mavericks.

It will be the second time the two teams have met this season. The first meeting came in Manhattan on March 27, a game that saw the Wildcats win 3-0.

That game was a tight, defensive battle for much of the night. In the bottom of the eighth inning, freshman left fielder Dylan Watts stepped up to the plate for K-State with the bases loaded. Watts blasted a single up the middle, sending two runners in. Watts himself would later be sent home to give K-State the 3-0 lead that it held for the rest of the game.

In their 15 games since defeating the Mavericks nearly a month ago, the Wildcats have gone 4-11. K-State lost a series to West Virginia just this weekend, 2-1.

In the first game of the series against the Mountaineers, the Wildcats lost a 5-3 lead after six-and-a-half innings before giving up five unanswered runs to fall 8-5. Game two saw the Mountaineers win 6-0, but K-State made a last-ditch effort by winning the final game 7-4 on Sunday.

Sophomore Will Brennan has made some noise lately, not only when he’s up to bat but also from the mound. In the West Virginia series, he had a total of four hits, but more important were his contributions as a pitcher.

In the Sunday win against the Mountaineers, Brennan pitched five innings, allowing just one earned run. Brennan was awarded the win, which was his second in a row after beating Nebraska last Tuesday.

K-State is currently 17-23 this season with a 3-12 record in the Big 12 Conference. Meanwhile, Omaha is currently 13-22 overall and 8-7 in the Summit League. The Mavericks were most recently swept 3-0 in a series against Fort Wayne.

Junior Braden Rogers is the leading batter for Omaha. He has a batting average of .289 with 37 hits and 15 RBIs this season.

K-State holds the all-time series edge over Omaha, 11-2.

The first pitch between the Wildcats and the Mavericks is set for 6:30 p.m. tonight. The game will be broadcast on KMAN radio and a free audio stream will be available on kstatesports.com.

Jarrett Whitson
I’m Jarrett Whitson, the sports editor this semester. I’m from Blue Rapids, KS, a town of just over 1,000 people about 40 miles north of Manhattan. I’m a junior in Public Relations, and a member of FarmHouse Fraternity. I love playing and talking about sports— especially college football