In-A-Chord hits high note with first CD recording

0
102
When the crowd thought the night was over, In-A-Chord came out with a surprise final piece: a medley paying tribute to the recently released film "The Greatest Showman." The group performed its final show of the year on April 18, 2018, at the University Christian Church. (Hannah Greer | Collegian Media Group)

After finishing its last performance of the year, In-A-Chord, a Kansas State a capella group, is recording its first CD.

Abbie Lang, sophomore in communication sciences and disorders, is one of the group’s managers and a two-year In-A-Chord member.

“I went to a summer camp for K-State choir and they performed,” Lang said. “One of my best friends, who is also a fellow manager, joined them the following year. So I decided that as soon as I graduated, I would audition for it.”

In-A-Chord has been around for a decade. It is a unique group on campus as it is neither a departmental organization nor a student-led organization, but it is technically a class.

“In-A-Chord wasn’t looking for a person to do sound at first,” said Morgan McCabe, junior in music education and sound engineer for In-A-Chord. “I managed to get in after hearing about it from my friends who are in In-A-Chord and my interest in music and sound. Doing the tech is just as rewarding as performing.”

Their practices are strict and routine. Every Tuesday and Thursday from 3 to 5:20 p.m. the group gets together, sets their equipment out and practices. They work together on a Google document and then discuss a song they want to try out after one is suggested. The music they perform is typically pop music ranging from today all the way back to the 1970s.

Many fond memories are created during these practice sessions, but Lang and McCabe have their own favorite moments.

“Concerts are so fun,” Lang said. “We already know all the music and I think it’s just the best part of the year is when we perform.”

“When the group learns a song for the first time, you get to see them connect to the music and grow together,” McCabe said.

In-A-Chord is now in the process of making a CD and taking time from its last practices of the year to record. A release date is yet to be confirmed, but some students are looking forward to it, like Tori Everett, sophomore in marketing.

“I had a friend from high school join, so I went to a concert,” Everett said. “I love a cappella music and they’re really good.”