Greek life at KSU still trying to find its place

0
2727
Students at the Kansas State Homecoming Pep Rally participate in the Wabash on Friday, Oct. 20th, 2017. (Cooper Kinley | Collegian Media Group)

Panhellenic life at Kansas State continues to stride through unknown territory after the dissolution of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life in August under the new student organization policy.

Under the new policy, Greek organizations are classified as independent student organizations are subsequently unaffiliated with the university.

“[K-state] just did not want to be held liable or be sued for some of the actions of the houses,” said Ryan Schippers, head recruitment chair for Sigma Alpha Epsilon and junior in marketing. “To be honest, you can’t really blame K-State for being cautious and taking the steps they did.”

Morgan Hoffman, sister of Delta Delta Delta and freshman in hospitality management, said many students involved in Greek life were concerned about what the sudden change would mean for their fees and dues. Hoffman said while the cost of “going Greek” at K-State has increased, it is not nearly as high as some expected.

“With the dissolving of the office, we were left to hire outside sources such as an accounting service. This was previously helped and dealt with by Kansas State and the Office of Greek Life,” Hoffman said. “The increase in dues and fees were not huge, I think ours was somewhere around $10. To me, this isn’t bad, but that was just for our sorority. I have heard that others have had to increase theirs by a lot.”

Noah Patterson, member of Lambda Chi Alpha and sophomore in finance, said that while he doesn’t like the decision to remove affiliation between Greek life and the university, he understands the precaution. Additionally, Patterson said he wishes the university had handled the situations that lead to the decision differently.

“There have been instances like these at other universities and they take proper action against that house or that group,” Patterson said. “They don’t just do away with Greek life altogether. It is sad, but that is what they thought was best.”

While the future relationship between K-State and Greek life is still unclear, many, like Schippers, say they are still hoping for a reunion.

“I believe President General Myers wants to be affiliated with Greek life,” Schippers said. “He was a Greek member when he was a Kansas State student. He walked these halls, lived in these houses, and he knows what it means to these students. If the proper action were introduced, I believe he would be on-board with it.”