Baseball outlasts Omaha in extra inning, hopes to carry momentum to Baylor home series

0
36
Junior infielder Drew Mount hits the ball for a base hit during the game against Oklahoma State at Tointon Family Stadium on Apr. 9 2018. ( Sabrina Cline | Collegian Media Group )

A thrilling, walk-off finish saw the Kansas State baseball team get win number 18 of the season.

K-State took on the Omaha Mavericks and defeated them on their home turf. It took 11 innings, but the Wildcats came out on top, 6-5.

In the top of the sixth inning, senior right fielder Hanz Harker stepped up to bat for K-State. With two-outs on the board, he hit a single that scored junior catcher TK McWhertor and freshman second baseman Brett Owen. The Wildcats now led 5-2.

Harker finished the night with two hits and two RBIs.

Omaha challenged K-State’s lead, scoring two runs of its own in the bottom side of the sixth, making the score 5-4.

That was the Wildcats’ lead going into the bottom of the ninth inning and they had an opportunity to shut it down and get the win. The Mavericks, however, would not go down without a fight.

Omaha’s junior pitcher/designated hitter Grant Suponchick hit a sacrifice fly to send in junior outfielder Thomas DeBonville to score the tying run. No more runs were scored and the game went into extra innings.

The 10th inning was scoreless as well. It was not until the 11th inning when K-State would finish it off. It really was not any of their own doing as much as it was that of the opposing pitcher.

Omaha’s sophomore pitcher Cam Fowler walked K-State freshman Dylan Watts. Then, Adam Caniglia, the Mavericks’ senior catcher, had three passed balls which allowed Watts to score the game-winning run.

Four Wildcats had multiple hits in the game. Sophomore shortstop Cam Thompson led them all with three hits.

After defeating Omaha, K-State will finally return to the comfort of Tointon Family Stadium after playing eight straight games on the road.

The Baylor Bears come to town for a three-game series, Friday through Sunday. Baylor has an overall record of 23-17 and is 6-9 in Big 12 play, sixth place in the conference.

In their last game, the Bears run-ruled Texas State 17-5 in seven innings. That victory extended their win streak to seven games, so they will be eager to continue their recent success.

After the walk-off win against Omaha, K-State is sitting at 18-23 on the season. They are 3-12 in the conference, sitting at last place.

Last season, the Wildcats won the series against the Bears, 2-1.

Start times for this weekend’s game are 6:30 p.m. Friday, 2 p.m. Saturday and 1 p.m. Sunday. All three games will stream live on ESPN3, with KMAN broadcasting games one and three, and the K-State Sports Radio Network broadcasting game two.

Jarrett Whitson
I’m Jarrett Whitson, the sports editor this semester. I’m from Blue Rapids, KS, a town of just over 1,000 people about 40 miles north of Manhattan. I’m a junior in Public Relations, and a member of FarmHouse Fraternity. I love playing and talking about sports— especially college football