REVIEW: ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ is a wild ride and you should have a turn on it

0
695
Promotional poster for "Avengers: Infinity War."

Editor’s note: The following review contains NO spoilers for “Avengers: Infinity War.”

Marvel’s “Avengers: Infinity War” is the third installment in the Avengers series of superhero team-ups, and it’s the 19th film in the so-called Marvel Cinematic Universe. And it might just be my favorite yet.

I’ll start off with my personal criticisms, of which there aren’t many.

The first isn’t even a problem with the film itself, but I just have to mention it. I personally can’t stand it when people clap during a movie in theaters, and there was a lot clapping for this one. I guess it’s just a crowd-pleaser.

My second criticism, which is only partly a criticism, is that this film follows closely to the basic Marvel formula you’ve come to know if you’ve seen any of their films. However, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

While the structure has been used plenty of times in the past, it is still working phenomenally, and this film subverts and changes the formula in ways I certainly didn’t see coming.

Finally, a small gripe I have with the film is that it does end on a bit of a cliff hanger, no doubt to tie into the already-announced “Avengers 4” coming next year. However, it does a great job of wrapping up its own self-contained plot at the same time, so it wasn’t a big deal to me at least.

5aabca43cc502928008b4687-640-250.jpg
Still of Chris Pratt (left) and Robert Downey Jr. in "Avengers: Infinity War."

Onto the things I liked about it. If you have a favorite MCU superhero, there’s a very good chance you’ll see them in this film. Almost every superhero who has been in an MCU film is in this one. I loved seeing the Guardians of the Galaxy finally meeting the Avengers. It was a great payoff after years of waiting to see them team up.

Speaking of fantastic payoffs, Thanos is very much worth the hype that’s been surrounding him for six years now. Marvel’s villains have come a long way since the forgettable and downright silly villains of some of their past films. A good measure of a villain is whether they can bring the audience to sympathize at least somewhat with their cause, and Thanos definitely did that for me.

The action was well-paced and exciting to follow as the action in a lot of Marvel films is. The CGI work was pretty spot on in my opinion, and it never seemed too over-the-top to me.

In typical Marvel fashion, there were plenty of moments with lightness and humor, and most of the jokes and one-liners were homeruns for me. The plot of the film throws curveballs at you that you likely won’t expect and raises the stakes in surprising and daring ways.

Overall, I would recommend “Avengers: Infinity War” to anyone who wants to go catch an exciting, charming and emotional action film. I can’t wait to see how it’s followed up in the next one.

Trenton Busch is a junior in accounting. The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Collegian. Please send comments to opinion@kstatecollegian.com.