K-State baseball to host Wichita State Wednesday

0
57
Junior Rainer Ausmus swings at the ball during a game against against the Omaha Mavericks on March 27 2018 (Alex Shaw | Collegian Media Group)

After getting swept by Baylor in a three-game series over the weekend, the Kansas State baseball team will look to bounce back as they host Wichita State on Wednesday at Tointon Family Stadium in Manhattan.

The Wildcats are 18-26 overall and 11-13 at home. The Shockers are 28-14 overall and 9-10 on the road. This is the first game of a two-game series; the Wildcats and Shockers will play again on May 15 in Wichita.

This will be the sixth time this season the Shockers will be playing a Big 12 opponent. The Shockers are 5-0 against the Big 12. They have defeated the University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State twice and Kansas twice.

The K-State pitching has been a struggle recently, allowing 18 runs in game one against Baylor, and 16 runs in the game two.

The Wildcats will need the kind of pitching that was in their last game against Baylor, where they gave up just eight runs, if they are going to defeat the Shockers on Wednesday.

The Wildcats will hope to continue improving hitting the ball against the Shockers, as they struggled to score runs in each game against Baylor over the weekend: zero runs in first game, three runs in second game and five runs in the final game.

The Shockers’ pitching gave up an average seven runs in their three-game series against UCF over the weekend.

K-State improved in each game in the series against Baylor, coming close to avoiding the sweep and winning the final game. It would be big for the Wildcats to get a win against Wichita State, since they face Oklahoma and Kansas next on the a three-game series with each.

A win will put them in position to sweep the season series with Wichita State on May 15.

The first pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. It will be televised on COX Channel Kansas and will stream free on K-StateHD.TV and the K-State Sports app on Roku and Apple TV. The game can also be heard on air on 1350 AM KMAN.