Collegian says goodbye to four-year staffer

0
111

With every spring semester, there come goodbyes and final farewells as seniors prepare to enter the next stage of their lives. At the Collegian, one graduating senior has left her mark in a lasting way.

When Renee Dick first started working at the Collegian Media Group as a freshman, she had her eyes set on photography, but she could not have thought that she would rise through the ranks quickly: first working for the photography staff, then to the position of photography editor for the Royal Purple yearbook, then, ultimately, design chief for the Collegian newspaper.

“It was a big unknown when I first came in as a freshman,” Renee, senior in accounting and finance, said. “I think I came in with a pretty open mind about it and took advantage of the different opportunities. I looked up to the people that I worked under, but I never thought that I would be one of those people one day.”

Among a staff of mostly underclassmen, Renee brought a wealth of wisdom and experience.

“When we first started the school year, we were kind of freaking out about how we would put together an entire newspaper three times a week,” said Rafael Garcia, editor-in-chief and junior in mass communications. “Renee provided the expertise and continuity that we so desperately needed, and we would not be where we are today without her.”

In her position, Renee has managed a small staff of designers and stayed in the newsroom late into the night until the final page of the paper is approved.

“It’s been a joy to work with Renee,” said Colton Seamans, designer and sophomore in agricultural economics. “A lot of information that I would not have known coming in otherwise, and I’ll miss her to back some of my thoughts.”

Renee’s design co-chief this semester, Gabrielle Farris, said she will miss Renee’s friendship.

“I came into the staff as one of the youngest designers, and that was scary,” Farris, sophomore in biochemistry, said, “but thankfully Renee was very kind and helpful, and our relationship has only grown since then.”

Renee played a substantial role in the Collegian’s recent redesign, working with editors to hone the paper’s new front page.

“I love Renee,” said DeAundra Allen, managing editor and junior in mass communications. “Renee is very smart, and she’s had a good work ethic. She’s had a great impact on the design staff. I really hope that she can find her wedding hashtag.”

Following graduation, Renee will move to Detroit to start work as a finance associate Kautex and join her fiance Greg Hopper, 2017 graduate in mechanical engineering. The two are set to wed in fall 2019, and she said she is excited and eagerly nervous for her wedding and what the future entails. She said, without a hint of sarcasm, that she is excited to keep reading the Collegian daily.

The staff of the Collegian thanks Renee for all of her work these past four years, and we wish her the best of luck in life. We’ll miss you, and we’ll try our best not to burn down Kedzie without you.

I’m Rafael Garcia, co-editor-in-chief at the Collegian. I’m a junior in journalism, campus visit coordinator for the JMC Ambassadors, and the vice president of social events and communication for the Edgerley-Franklin Urban Leaders. I come from Emporia, Kansas, home of the Twinkie, world’s best tasting tap water and journalist William Allen White. I’m passionate about journalism because I love people and their stories, and I want to find and tell those stories here on campus. In my spare time, I’m a Chihuahua wrangler, doughnut enthusiast, Netflix watcher and racquetball player. Contact me at rgarcia@kstatecollegian.com.