News Briefs: June 20

0
52

North Korea will return the remains of what are believed to be 200 U.S. servicemembers who perished in the Korean War. CNN reports this agreement came out of the June 12 summit between President Trump and Kim Jong Un. The date and location of the transfer is undecided. When the remains are received, they will be sent to Hawaii for identification, which includes DNA matching.

Sen. Pat Roberts and Rep. Kevin Yoder have condemned the separation of migrant families through letters to Attorney General Jeff Sessions. On Monday, The Kansas City Star writes Yoder sent Sessions a letter urging him to stop immigrant family separation, citing the trauma that children undergo when separated from their families. “That’s why I’m demanding that Attorney General Sessions halt the practice of family separation at the border immediately as Congress works toward legislative solutions,” Yoder wrote. Pat Roberts signed a letter with 10 other Republican senators, calling to cease family separation. Senate bills from Republicans and Democrats have been introduced to end family separations at U.S. borders.

The Riley County Law Enforcement Agency Board approved a new maternity duty policy on Monday. Female officers now have the option to serve “light duty” during their pregnancy without dipping into sick days, reports the Manhattan Mercury. Previously, officers had a 90-day limit on light duty days, so pregnant officers would have to use sick days after the 90 days.

Dene Dryden
I'm Dene Dryden, a Collegian copy chief, a senior in English creative writing and CMG Board of Directors member. Formerly editor-in-chief and managing editor. You can hear my voice on Wildcat 91.9 FM and find my bylines in FFA New Horizons, Seek Research Magazine for K-State, URGE ChoiceWords and the Get Inclusive blog. In addition to my journalistic work, my poems are published or forthcoming in the Flint Hills Review, Rogue Agent and Lammergeier. My cat Robyn is the light of my life, and I take compliments in the form of coffee.