Board of Regents grants K-State smallest tuition increase in Kansas

0
407

The Kansas Board of Regents approved and accepted Kansas State’s request for a 1.1 percent tuition increase, the lowest the university has requested since before 1989, during the last meeting of fiscal year 2018 on Wednesday.

Under the newly approved tuition rates, resident students will pay an average of $53.10 more for tuition in the next two semesters while non-residents will see a jump of about $130.05 per semester.

The proposal submitted to the Board estimates the increase will generate more than $2 million in tuition revenue.

This tuition increase is the smallest compared to the proposals put forward by other univisities in the state, except for K-State Polytechnic’s 0 percent increase. The University of Kansas requested and was granted a 2.8 percent increase on the Lawrence campus, while Pittsburgh State received a 2.6 percent increase. Wichita State, Fort Hays State and Emporia State each received 2.5 percent increases.

K-State administration was able to propose such a relatively small increase due in part to the restoration of $11 million in funding from the state as well as a $15 million reduction in the university’s general use budget.

The Board’s approval of the tuition and fee proposal also grants K-State permission to expand the tuition assistance program offered to university employees to staff members of the Board.

Rachel Hogan
Hey, hi, hello! I’m Rachel Hogan, the copy chief for The Collegian. I’m a senior in journalism from Olathe, Kansas. When I’m not at work in the newsroom, I like to spend my time cuddling with my dog, working as a barista and laughing with my friends.