News Briefs: June 27

0
54

The Supreme Court upheld President Trump’s travel ban today in a 5-4 ruling along partisan lines, according to CNN. The third and final version of the ban restricts travel from seven countries: Iran, North Korea, Syria, Libya, Yemen, Somalia and Venezuela. President Trump and congressional Republicans applauded the decision, while Justice Sonia Sotomayor, liberal lawmakers and other groups strongly opposed it.

The Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian unveiled a memorial design yesterday. NPR reports that the organization decided the National Native American Veterans Memorial will use a design by Harvey Pratt, titled “Warriors’ Circle of Honor.” The design features a large, upright circle made of steel standing on a stone drum that will overlook the U.S. Capitol. Benches and the five seals of the military will surround it. According to Kevin Gover, the museum’s director, “it acknowledges the history and service of American Indian, Alaska Native and Native Hawaiian veterans.”

In the latest update of Gannon v. Kansas, the Kansas Supreme Court ruled on Monday that the Kansas Legislature’s school funding plan is still inadequate, but has given it another year to fix it. The decision prevents the chance of school shutdown and is considered a “step in the right direction” by Rev. Jeff Gannon, whom the court case is named after. However, according to The Kansas City Star, “it also renewed calls for a constitutional amendment in an effort to end the school finance litigation once and for all.”

Stephanie Wallace
I’m Stephanie Wallace, and I am the assistant news editor of the Collegian, a contributing writer, and a copy editor. I’m a senior, majoring in English major and minoring in Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies. You may have seen me riding my scooter around campus as I rush to my classes and much too many clubs. Some organizations I work with include the English Department Ambassadors, K-State Libraries Student Ambassadors and The Burrow — K-State’s chapter of the Harry Potter Alliance.