Campus blood drive collects 60 pints, needs 69 more today for goal

0
28

Kansas State’s summer semester blood drive will conclude at 3 p.m. today after two days of collecting blood donations for the American Red Cross.

Jan Hale, external communications manager for the Red Cross, said the K-State Blood Drive hopes to collect 129 pints of blood over two days. The total collected on Tuesday was 60 pints, meaning that 69 pints are still needed to reach the goal today.

Donations are being collected in the Student Union ballroom. A variety of free snacks and beverages, including cookies, are available to donors after giving blood.

The Red Cross issued an urgent call for blood donors Tuesday due to a lower number of donations during the Fourth of July holiday week.

“Whether you’ve never donated or give a couple of times a year, you’re needed to give as soon as possible to help save patient lives,” said Cliff Numark, senior vice president of the Red Cross, in a press release. “Yours may be the donation a patient is counting on.”

The K-State Blood Drive is held every semester, including the summer semester, and is primarily run by volunteers.

If you would like to donate blood before the summer blood drive ends, walk-ins are encouraged in the Union. You can also schedule an appointment ahead of time by calling 1-800-733-2767 or visiting the Red Cross’ website at redcrossblood.org.

Kyle Hampel
Those words you just read were written by me, Kyle Hampel. I'm an English major who has very strong feelings about barbecue pizza and the Oxford comma. I like to write articles about my strong opinions, too! I also play lots of musical instruments and video games, but never at the same time. Beloit, Kansas, is proud to call me their own, along with several other towns I've lived in that aren't as special to me.