Local News Briefs: July 18

0
57

Early voting for local primary elections begins for Riley County residents today. The polls will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays until Aug. 3. Votes can be cast in person at 110 Courthouse Plaza or by mail. Registered voters who are unaffiliated with a party can still participate in the primary election by registering with a party, a decision that can be changed again after the primary election. The official primary is Aug. 7. For more information, visit the Riley County website.

City commissioners are considering an increase of the pet licensing fee. After backing off a plan to require veterinarians to report unlicensed pets to city officials, commissioners have focused in on a new proposal that would create fines for owners of unlicensed cats and dogs over four months in age, the Manhattan Mercury reports. Licenses for unsterilized pets would be approximately doubled due to “issues more associated with those animals.” Another change would have the pet’s rabies tag used as their license number, since the shot is required for the pet to be licensed.

The mural honoring Brown vs. Board Historic Site in Topeka inches closer to its finishing touches. WIBW reports that ArtsConnect, the organization that created the 22-foot-wide painting, invited community members to participate in its creation. Controversy struck the project in June when an artist painted an immigrant mother clinging to her child, but the image was painted over by ArtsConnect, saying it didn’t represent the site’s historic message.

Hi there! I’m Leah Zimmerli, community desk co-editor, relentless optimist, and lover of big and small dogs. I’m a junior in political science and journalism from Overland Park, Kansas. I hope to bring you pieces that challenge you, that broaden your mindset, and help you learn more about your K-State community.