While you were gone: Manhattan’s notable summer news

0
1038
Formally known as the Main Campus Building or Practical Agriculture Building when the campus was known as Kansas State Agriculture College, Anderson Hall was named in honor of the university president John A. Anderson, who served from 1873 to 1879. (File photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

Tuition at Kansas State increased by 1.1 percent. As previously reported by the Collegian, this increase is the smallest spike among all public universities in the state and the lowest requested by the university since 1989. Under the new rates, students who are Kansas citizens will see their semesterly tuition step up by $53.10 on average, while out-of-state tuition will jump by $130.05.

The university enacted a complete ban of smoking on campus. The policy, which went into effect June 1, prohibits students, faculty and staff from using cigarettes, vaporizers, cigars, pipes and other similar devices while on campus except for when inside enclosed personal vehicles. Like similar policies at other Kansas universities, the ban will be “self-enforced.” Noncompliant students will be held responsible under the Student Code of Conduct, while faculty and staff may be subject to disciplinary action.

Several new businesses open their doors to the Manhattan public. Off of Poyntz Avenue, Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers opened June 12, while Old Navy opened in May. In the same area, Ross and Manhattan’s second Panera will also open in the near future. El Patron Restaurant and Cantina and a cocktail lounge called Pool House held their grand openings downtown in June.

The city reached out to the public for input on the Aggieville Community Vision Plan with an online survey. The questionnaire, which offers more information on the initiative online, can be accessed at AggievilleVision.com. It will be available through Aug. 31.

Rachel Hogan
Hey, hi, hello! I’m Rachel Hogan, the copy chief for The Collegian. I’m a senior in journalism from Olathe, Kansas. When I’m not at work in the newsroom, I like to spend my time cuddling with my dog, working as a barista and laughing with my friends.