Former basketball player Amaad Wainright pleads guilty in road rage shooting

0
422
Junior guard Amaad Wainright prepares for a play against Texas Tech in Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 10, 2018. The Wildcats lost to the Red Raiders 66-47. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

Amaad Wainright, a former guard for the Kansas State men’s basketball team, has pleaded guilty for his role in a road rage shooting last January.

Wainright accepted a plea deal, dropping charges of fleeing and attempting to elude a police officer and leaving him with the charges of obstructing apprehension or prosecution. According to Fox 4 KC, Wainright did not comment on why he took the plea deal. He will face sentencing Oct. 24.

For a more in-depth description of Wainright’s charge, click here.

The incident in question took place in January along Interstate 435.

Wainright transferred to K-State in 2017 from Trinity Valley Community College in Athens, Texas. During the 2017-2018 season, Wainright played 36 of 37 games averaging, 13.1 minutes per game.

Wainright was excused from the team following his arrest in April, per K-State Athletics department policy.

While Wainright’s legal future is still unclear, he has opted to transfer to Louisiana State University Shreveport.

Molly Hackett
Hi, I'm Molly Hackett and I am the sports editor for The Collegian. I am a senior in mass communications with an emphasis in digital media and a minor in business. In my free time, I like to spend time with the people closest to me, travel, drink coffee and take naps.