Former basketball player Amaad Wainright pleads guilty in road rage shooting

0
412
Junior guard Amaad Wainright prepares for a play against Texas Tech in Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 10, 2018. The Wildcats lost to the Red Raiders 66-47. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

Amaad Wainright, a former guard for the Kansas State men’s basketball team, has pleaded guilty for his role in a road rage shooting last January.

Wainright accepted a plea deal, dropping charges of fleeing and attempting to elude a police officer and leaving him with the charges of obstructing apprehension or prosecution. According to Fox 4 KC, Wainright did not comment on why he took the plea deal. He will face sentencing Oct. 24.

For a more in-depth description of Wainright’s charge, click here.

The incident in question took place in January along Interstate 435.

Wainright transferred to K-State in 2017 from Trinity Valley Community College in Athens, Texas. During the 2017-2018 season, Wainright played 36 of 37 games averaging, 13.1 minutes per game.

Wainright was excused from the team following his arrest in April, per K-State Athletics department policy.

While Wainright’s legal future is still unclear, he has opted to transfer to Louisiana State University Shreveport.

Molly Hackett
I'm Molly Hackett, the assistant sports editor this semester. I attended St. James Academy just outside of Kanas City for high school and I am currently a junior in mass communications with an emphasis in digital media and a minor in business. In my free time, I love to ride my moped, spend time with friends and family, play sports, drink coffee and take naps.