K-State students mixed on Snyder’s contract extension

0
974
Bill Snyder looks across the field at a game in Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (Archive photo | Emily DeShazer)

When news breaks concerning Bill Snyder — Kansas State’s longtime football coach revered and respected enough to have a stadium and highway named for him — members of the K-State family are certain to have opinions.

The 78-year-old coach will be paid $3.45 million in the 2018 season, and his salary will increase by $300,000 at the end of the 2019 and 2020 seasons, making his salary greater than $4 million by the 2020 season.

After the 2020 season finishes, the final two years of Snyder’s contract will be up for renegotiation if he should choose to remain the leader of the K-State football team.

After talking to some K-State students on campus, some felt that whatever Snyder wants, he should get.

“It could be a bad thing to sign a 78-year-old to that long of a contract, but since it’s Bill Snyder, I don’t think it’s a bad thing,” Dawson Ervie, freshman in environmental design, said. “He knows what he is doing and has been a mentor to lots of people. Five more years with him as the head coach is a good thing for our program.”

One student said he is a bit more skeptical about the extension, given the way that college football is played today and how Snyder has adjusted.

“He brings a lot to campus and is a really good mascot,” Chandler Sherwood, sophomore in mass communications, said. “I do, however, know he has gotten older and the game has changed a lot. I’m not sure he has adapted to other coaches as well as they have adapted to him. He’s not very aggressive and the play style is slow, and that has made the games not as fun as they used to be.”

Sherwood said he doesn’t think Snyder or any other coach is worth the amount of money they are paid.

“No coach is worth that money,” Sherwood said. “He has done a lot for this school, so if anyone is worth it, it’s him.”

Another student said they think K-State is going to be average during the next five years with Snyder still at the helm.

“We are just going to be so-so, nothing great, nothing terrible for the next five years,” Declan Shea, freshman in history, said. “He is a legend though, so I don’t blame K-State for signing him longer.”

Snyder and the Wildcats will open up the 2018 season when they host South Dakota on Sept. 1 at 6 p.m.