Soccer rides momentum of school-best season start into match against Drake

0
45

After reaching the first 2-0-0 start in school history, the Kansas State soccer team has its mind set on a matchup with the Drake University Bulldogs on Thursday. The Wildcats are coming off a 4-0 shutout victory against the University of Oakland.

Both teams will enter Thursday coming off a win. Drake (1-1-0) comes into Manhattan after getting its first win of the year after defeating Fresno State.

Junior forward Katie Cramer said the team is handling things one game at a time despite their unprecedented 2-0-0 record. She said she doesn’t think trying to extend the record is affecting how they are preparing going into Thursday.

“I think it’s kind of a one-game-at-a-time mindset for us; I think that’s key,” Cramer said. “If we’re all just like, ‘We have to win, we have to win,’ that’s going to be too much pressure and not good for our team. Our mindset is definitely one game at a time, and that is definitely what it should be.”

K-State has another undefeated team on the schedule: Santa Clara University, which the Wildcats are scheduled to play after Drake. K-State head coach Mike Dibbini says some might label this match against Drake as a trap match.

“It could be … but we’re gonna focus all of our attention on Drake,” Dibbini said. “Do what we need to do to prepare for Drake and worry about our next opponent when the time comes. But yes, if our experience plays a factor and our veterans play a factor, they understand that it’s a one-game-at-a-time mentality. That’s what we’re hoping to get out of it.”

This is the final match of the Wildcats’ three-match home stand to begin the season. They will look to improve their best start in school history to 3-0-0 and also remain undefeated on their home field.

The matchup with the Bulldogs will begin at 7 p.m. Thursday at the K-State Soccer Complex in Manhattan. The match can be seen on ESPN3 and be heard on the air on 101.5 FM and at kstatesports.com. The match can also be followed with live stats on kstatesports.com.