Students weigh in on K-State football’s chances this season

0
731
Sophomore wide receiver Byron Pringle carries the ball during the game between K-State and Central Arkansas in Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Sept. 2, 2017. (File Photo by Meg Shearer | Collegian Media Group)

The 2018 football season is right around the corner, with the first game being just 10 days away. Last year, the football team took a 7-5 record to the Cactus Bowl, where they defeated UCLA. How will they shape up this season? Here’s what students and some alumni had to say.

Many students had similar predictions for K-State’s regular season record. Two students predicted 7-5 records for the Wildcats, while two more think they will finish the regular season at 8-4.

Recent K-State alum, Sam Lee, predicts that the Wildcats will post a 7-5 record saying that “this team is just average in the Big 12.”

Ryley Leseberg, a senior in finance, also predicts a 7-5 record.

“I don’t trust the play calling at any time,” Leseberg said. “The offense was pretty predictable last year and if teams prep for the run-pass option, the Cats are going to get shut down pretty quick. The loss of Byron Pringle and D.J. Reed is going to hurt our special teams. The Wildcats lost some of their top receivers, so it may hurt the offense’s ability to air it out.”

“The Mississippi State game is going to be a toss-up and a really competitive game, but K-State can beat Texas for sure,” Leseberg said.

As far as the Sept. 8 matchup against Mississippi State, Mitchell said, “I don’t fear Mississippi State.”

Jacob Mitchell predicts an 8-4 record this season. He predicts losses to West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and TCU.

Like Mitchell, senior Kyle Johnson predicts an 8-4 regular season record for the Wildcats.

“The biggest games that K-State must win are games versus West Virginia, Texas, and TCU,” Johnson said. “All of these opponents defeated K-State last season and two of those three matchups will be on the road.”

Johnson said he is excited to see how the offensive strategy will look with new offensive coordinator Andre Coleman and co-offensive coordinator/quarterback coach Collin Klein.

“The defensive line is pretty young and a wildcard as far a production this season, but the offensive line looks very strong,” Johnson said.

The season will kick-off on Sept.1 at 6:10 p.m. when the Wildcats take on the University of South Dakota at Bill Snyder Family Stadium.