No library? No problem: A guide to resources across campus

0
117
A door that once was the entrance to Hale Library's offices hangs off its hinges. (Katelin Woods | Collegian Media Group) Photo credit: Katelin Woods

So the Kansas State library has been ravaged by fire damage that screams “costs and damages.” What now?

If you ponder your greatest thoughts best with the aroma of coffee beans filtering in the air, you may feel right at home at Arrow Coffee Co., Bluestem Bistro, Radina’s and Sparrow Specialty Coffee.

Jilian Daniel, freshman in elementary education, said Arrow is her favorite coffee nook in Manhattan.

“I love Arrow because the environment, how it is set up and the smell,” Daniel said.

If you don’t function best with a heavy flow of traffic in your study zone, but still want your cup of joe, the Radina’s locations on campus are best avoided during normal class hours.

Grabbing a table is as near impossible as studying there when you have an attention span of a sugared-up toddler. Stick to the drive-by coffee runs and seek study shelter somewhere else.

Off-campus coffee shops typically are pretty quiet up until around 3 p.m. The roar of undergrads pilling in after class climaxes from 3 to 6 p.m. The amount of sleep-deprived students filling the tables tends to dwindle as the night continues. However, this loose statistic is not accurate pertaining to finals week.

All rules do not apply during that dreaded time frame.

Options outside of hipster havens for your studying necessities are far from limited. Madison Beauchamp, senior in animal science and industry, said she prefers to study outdoors in areas like the quad.

“I really like studying outside in the quad area, or I study on one of the benches outside my next class,” Beauchamp said.

The weather won’t always comply to your study wishes, so it’s important to have a back up plan.

Another resource is the Manhattan Public Library on Poyntz Avenue. It may not have an Einstein’s Bros. Bagels shop attached to it, but it’ll do.

Registering for a library card is free and can be done online or in person with a photo I.D. and proof of address.

Whatever you do, avoid studying in your bed. Emilee Clemons, sophomore in fine arts, said this is a sure way to get nothing done.

“I never do homework in bed, because every time I’d do homework in bed, I’d just procrastinate until the next day,” Clemons said.

So now that you have a variety of places to procrastinate your homework at, where do you print?

Hale Library has relocated some of their resources to the second floor of the K-State Student Union, which includes a small collection of computers and printers. One floor below this is six desktops with a printer next to the Cats’ Den.

Printing is also available in the Dickens Hall 1 lab, the Justin Hall lobby, Seaton Hall 1 lab, Weigel Library in Regnier Hall 81, the Math/Physics Library in Cardwell Hall 105 and the Cat’s Pause Lounge in the Union.

WIth an ample supply of study and printing resources, hopefully you won’t be saying “what the Hale?”

My name is Katelin Woods and I graduated with a Bachelor's of Arts in public relations in May 2020. I worked as the first audience engagement manager of the Collegian from 2019 to 2020 and took photos for the multimedia staff. I was also the founding editor of the culture desk in 2018. I am an enthusiast of a poetry, pizza roll and pajamas.