Second KSUnite rally scheduled for October

0
291
Kansas State University students and faculty gather for the KSUnite Rally at Anderson Lawn on Nov. 14, 2017. (File photo by Alanoud Alanazi | Collegian Media Group)

In a letter released this morning in the K-State Today newsletter, chief diversity and inclusion officer Bryan Samuel announced that a second KSUnite is in the works for October.

Samuel wrote that after listening to faculty, staff and students who expressed the importance of the inclusion and diversity efforts — KSUnite especially — he invites the Kansas State community to “save the date” for Tuesday, Oct. 9 for the second KSUnite event.

The letter does not specify whether classes will be canceled on that day or not, but Samuel wrote that more details will follow.

“Although KSUnite began as a response to critical issues on our campus, continuance of this initiative will move our campus proactively along the diversity continuum as we annually recommit to our land-grant mission — ‘full education privileges for all’ — and showcase the various successes and accomplishments of our work,” Samuel wrote.

On Nov. 14, 2017, the K-State Unity Walk and KSUnite rally took place in response to a series of events that occurred in the Manhattan community in the weeks prior, including the appearance of white nationalist posters on campus and the self-vandalization of a car with racist graffiti.

Other initiatives mentioned in Samuel’s letter include the realization of a multicultural center, a spring 2019 Campus Climate Survey and the development of a strategic diversity plan that aligns with K-State 2025 and Strategic Enrollment Management plans.

Dene Dryden
I'm Dene Dryden, a Collegian copy chief, a senior in English creative writing and CMG Board of Directors member. Formerly editor-in-chief and managing editor. You can hear my voice on Wildcat 91.9 FM and find my bylines in FFA New Horizons, Seek Research Magazine for K-State, URGE ChoiceWords and the Get Inclusive blog. In addition to my journalistic work, my poems are published or forthcoming in the Flint Hills Review, Rogue Agent and Lammergeier. My cat Robyn is the light of my life, and I take compliments in the form of coffee.