Second KSUnite rally scheduled for October

0
316
Kansas State University students and faculty gather for the KSUnite Rally at Anderson Lawn on Nov. 14, 2017. (File photo by Alanoud Alanazi | Collegian Media Group)

In a letter released this morning in the K-State Today newsletter, chief diversity and inclusion officer Bryan Samuel announced that a second KSUnite is in the works for October.

Samuel wrote that after listening to faculty, staff and students who expressed the importance of the inclusion and diversity efforts — KSUnite especially — he invites the Kansas State community to “save the date” for Tuesday, Oct. 9 for the second KSUnite event.

The letter does not specify whether classes will be canceled on that day or not, but Samuel wrote that more details will follow.

“Although KSUnite began as a response to critical issues on our campus, continuance of this initiative will move our campus proactively along the diversity continuum as we annually recommit to our land-grant mission — ‘full education privileges for all’ — and showcase the various successes and accomplishments of our work,” Samuel wrote.

On Nov. 14, 2017, the K-State Unity Walk and KSUnite rally took place in response to a series of events that occurred in the Manhattan community in the weeks prior, including the appearance of white nationalist posters on campus and the self-vandalization of a car with racist graffiti.

Other initiatives mentioned in Samuel’s letter include the realization of a multicultural center, a spring 2019 Campus Climate Survey and the development of a strategic diversity plan that aligns with K-State 2025 and Strategic Enrollment Management plans.

I'm Dene Dryden, and I graduated in May 2020 with a Bachelor's of Arts in English. Before graduating, I worked at the Collegian for more than three years as a copy chief, managing editor and editor-in-chief. I also served a term on the Collegian Media Group Board of Directors. While at K-State, I also worked at Wildcat 91.1 FM. My cat Robyn is the light of my life, and I take compliments in the form of coffee.