Snyder looks ahead to upcoming football season

0
319
Then-senior defensive back Cre Moore celebrates after the football game against Iowa State at Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Nov. 25, 2017. (File photo by Alanoud Alanazi | Collegian Media Group)

With the 2018 football season only a few days away, Kansas State head football coach Bill Snyder made predictions for what the first week, as well as the rest of the season, should look like for the Wildcats in a press conference yesterday.

“The mindset is different with this team,” Snyder said. “They are different than last year. Normally on the Monday of the first game week, there is more emotion. This week I saw a very business-like approach.”

This different approach could be because K-State has a lot of players coming back on the offensive line.

While this can be a game-changer for the Wildcats, Snyder said he believes that just because you have returners does not mean that you will always be successful, that “their ability is through their experience.”

The wealth of experience is not all that the offense has to offer. With two seasoned quarterbacks, it is a toss-up as to who will start on Saturday.

“It’s tight between the two guys [Skylar Thompson and Alex Delton],” Snyder said. “We have to start somebody, but both of them are going to play.”

In the past, the Wildcats have always had multiple quarterbacks ready at all times. Snyder said that they have both taken repetitions with the starting squad and that they have not seen any disruptions of continuity practicing with the two quarterbacks. They both just need to be solid on total coverage in order to get the start come Saturday, he said.

While the quarterback and offensive line seem set, one area of question is with the receiving end of the offense.

Snyder said he has “seen greater consistency, but I haven’t seen it at the level that I would like it to be.”

In order to remain competitive, the Wildcats are going to have to set the pace for the game offensively because Snyder said he believes that South Dakota is very “fast-paced and productive” on offense.

Snyder said he believes that what the Wildcats lack in some positions they make up for by playing hard and by being aggressive; in terms of a quarterback, he said he doesn’t see a great deal of difference for last year to this year.

On Saturday, the “improved togetherness” that Snyder described from practice could be in full force as the Wildcats take on the Coyotes.

The Wildcats will kick off at 6:10 p.m. Saturday against South Dakota in Bill Snyder Family Stadium. The game will be live streamed on ESPN3.

Molly Hackett
I'm Molly Hackett, the assistant sports editor this semester. I attended St. James Academy just outside of Kanas City for high school and I am currently a junior in mass communications with an emphasis in digital media and a minor in business. In my free time, I love to ride my moped, spend time with friends and family, play sports, drink coffee and take naps.