Update: Band director Tracz doing well, expects to be back on the job “in no time.”

0
7132
Frank Tracz directs the national anthem before the football game against South Dakota on Saturday. Tracz was hospitalized during the game but is reportedly in good spirits now. (Meg Shearer | Collegian Media Group)

Update Tuesday, 1:48 p.m.: Marching band director Frank Tracz said via phone Tuesday afternoon that he is “doing much better.”

Tracz is still undergoing tests in order to rule out more serious health problems. He said he is ready to get back to the marching band.

Additionally, Tracz said he is grateful for the EMTs and K-State Athletics for making a scary situation better on Saturday when he initially departed the game for unknown health concerns.

Update Sunday, 10:07 a.m.: Marching band director Frank Tracz is doing very well and passing his tests “with flying colors,” the K-State Marching Band said in a Facebook post Sunday morning.

In the post, the band relayed the Tracz family’s appreciation for all of the well wishes from people in the K-State community. The band also said that Tracz will be back to work soon.

There is still no word on what might have caused Tracz’s early departure from Saturday’s football game and trip to the hospital. Alex Wimmer, assistant director for the band, said Tracz would not be speaking to anyone beyond immediate family right now, but maybe in a couple of days after he gets some rest.

Original story:

Frank Tracz, the popular and energetic director of the Pride of Wildcat Land Marching Band, was taken to the hospital during the third quarter of Saturday’s football game, according to a post on the marching band’s Facebook page.

Tracz is reportedly “in good spirits” and wanted the public to know that he is “still alive.” A marching band representative declined to provide further details on the situation, including what might have caused Tracz’s hospitalization.

Tracz has been at K-State since 1993. In his time at the university, he’s led to the band to a high profile, not just in the K-State community but across the national marching community. Under his tenure, the band earned the prestigious Sudler Trophy in 2015.

The Collegian will update this story as more information is available.

Rafael Garcia
I'm Rafael Garcia, and I'm a senior in journalism and news editor for the K-State Collegian. I believe that much of the world's problems come from a lack of understanding of other people, but by telling other people's stories and finding the good in the world, I think we can increase our understanding and appreciation of each other. Questions, comments, concerns, news tips? Email me at rgarcia@kstatecollegian.com.