Big 12 power rankings: Kyler Murray, Will Grier steal the show in week two

0
619
K-State won against the South Dakota Coyotes 27-24 for their opening weekend game at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (Emily Lenk | Collegian Media Group)

The college football season finally kicked off last weekend and all Big 12 teams were in action.

Big 12 play featured a massive outing for Kyler Murray and reigning Big 12 champ Oklahoma, poise from Heisman hopeful Will Grier and yet another tough loss for Kansas.

10. The University of Kansas

The Jayhawks were defeated by Nicholls State 26-23 in overtime on Saturday in Lawrence. Quarterback Peyton Bender was the stand out player for the Jayhawks, throwing for 187 yards and two touchdowns.

Kansas will be on the road this weekend against Central Michigan, looking to win on the road for the first time since 2009. The matchup will be at 2 p.m. Saturday on ESPN+.

9. Baylor University

Baylor defeated Abilene Christian University 55-27 on Saturday. Running back John Lovett recorded 115 yards and three touchdowns.

Graduate transfer quarterback Jalan McClendon made his first appearance for the Bears and threw for 173 yards and two touchdowns. He will likely be the starter next week.

The Bears will be on the road Saturday to face the University of Texas at San Antonio at 6 p.m. The game will be produced by the CBS Sports Network and will stream on Facebook.

8. Iowa State University

Iowa State’s season-opening game vs. South Dakota State was canceled due to lightning. The Cyclones had a 7-0 lead after a 55-yard touchdown pass by Kyle Kempt, before a two-and-a-half hour weather delay and eventual cancellation.

It is unclear when or if the two teams will reschedule the game.

The Cyclones will travel to Iowa City, Iowa to battle the Iowa Hawkeyes for the Cy-Hawk trophy on Saturday at 4:00 pm on FOX.

7. Texas Tech University

Texas Tech lost 47-27 against Ole Miss on Saturday. Freshman Alan Bowman came in for McLane Carter, who was injured in the first quarter. Bowman threw for 273 yards and one touchdown. Running back De’Leon Ward was the player of the game for the Red Raiders as he ran for 90 yards and two touchdowns.

The Red Raiders will have their home opener on Saturday vs. Lamar at 3 p.m. on the Fox Sports Network.

6. Kansas State University

Special teams propelled the Wildcats to the finish line last Saturday in Manhattan as K-State defeated South Dakota 27-24. K-State survived in part to performances by Blake Lynch and Isaiah Zuber.

Lynch was responsible for 13 of K-State’s 24 points, including a perfect four-for-four night on field goal attempts. Zuber scored on an 85-yard punt return and had five catches for 68 yards and one receiving touchdown that clinched the win for the Wildcats.

The quarterback situation was a topic of discussion leading up to the opening game, and there is still some question about who will be the starter this upcoming weekend.

K-State will square off against Mississippi State on Saturday at 11 a.m. on ESPN.

5. University of Texas

The Longhorns were once again upset by Maryland, losing 34-27 on Saturday. Texas turned the ball over three times as well as racked up 10 penalties for 102 yards. Quarterback Sam Ehlinger went 21-39 for 263 yards with two touchdowns but threw two interceptions.

The Longhorns took the lead late in the third quarter, but a late touchdown and field goal for the Terrapins sealed the deal.

Texas will host Tulsa on the Longhorn Network Saturday at 7 p.m.

4. Oklahoma State University

Oklahoma State opened up its season last Thursday night and showed that it is going to be a competitor in the Big 12 once again.

In his first start for the Cowboys, quarterback Taylor Cornelius threw five touchdowns in the 58-17 rout of Missouri State. Wide receiver Jalen McCleskey had six receptions for 66 yards and two touchdowns.

Oklahoma State will face Southern Alabama on Saturday at 7 p.m. on the Fox Sports Network.

3. West Virginia University

West Virginia took care of Tennessee on Saturday in North Carolina, defeating the Volunteers 40-14.

Starting quarterback and Heisman hopeful Will Grier went 25-34 with 249 yards and five touchdowns.

The Mountaineers lost linebacker Charlie Benton for the season following a knee injury in the second quarter last Saturday. This is a huge loss for West Virginia because Benton is one of three linebackers expected to miss most or all of the 2018-2019 season.

The Mountaineers will host Youngstown State in Morgantown at 6 p.m. Saturday on the AT&T Sportsnet.

2. The University of Oklahoma

Oklahoma was dominant in its opening game against Florida Atlantic on Saturday, defeating the Owls 63-14 in Norman.

Quarterback Kyler Murray went nine-for-11 with 209 yards and two touchdowns, including an impressive 65-yard touchdown pass. Running back Rodney Anderson had five carries for 100 yards and two touchdowns.

Murray and the Sooners will have a true test against UCLA on Saturday at noon on Fox.

1. Texas Christian University

The Horned Frogs opened up the season by defeating Southern University 55-7 at home on Saturday.

Quarterback Shawn Robinson was responsible for five touchdowns on Saturday, throwing for three and rushing for two.

The Horned Frog defense held Southern to only 185 total yards and also had two interceptions, three sacks and eight tackles for losses.

TCU will be on the road vs. Southern Methodist University on Friday night at 7 p.m. on ESPN2.