New position intends to bridge gap between SGA and student body

0
84

The newly minted communications director of Student Governing Association Jack Jennings, sophomore in entrepreneurship, is new to the world of parliamentary procedure and student politics.

Jennings said though he has never served in SGA in any capacity, he is not at all apprehensive about the job ahead of him.

“I just decided I wanted to get involved, and this seems like it best fits my skill set,” Jennings said.

Jennings initially applied for the job of public relations director for the executive branch, and when he was turned down in April, he was pointed in the direction of the application for the communications director position.

“It turned out they liked what I had to say,” Jennings said.

Jordan Kiehl, student body president and senior in industrial engineering, said via email the the necessity of the communications director position has been on the table for awhile now, but the conversations were never acted upon prior to this term.

Additionally, Kiehl said in the past the work that Jennings is going to do fell under the secondary responsibilities of someone else in SGA, which resulted in some miscommunication or “pieces that were forgotten about.”

“It was really important to us that the individual holding the role was ambitious; Jack was exactly that,” Kiehl said. “He came into the interview prepared and ready to discuss the ideas and goals he had for the position. It really allowed us to see he was already thinking ahead and was going to be a go-getter in the role.”

The director position, which is new to the 2018-2019 governing term, is meant to “unify the message” of SGA between the legislative, executive and judicial branches, Jennings said.

“I think one voice is so important because SGA is a big organization, a lot of students are involved and there is a lot of different takes you can get depending on who you ask,” Jennings said. “Having one person to go to and talk to, it really makes sure that we’re all on the same page.”

Ryan Kelly, speaker of the student senate and junior in communication studies, said he agreed with Kiehl in the fact that Jennings could fill in some of the empty spaces that existed between SGA and the student body.

“He’s very dedicated to making SGA more visible to students on campus,” Kelly said.

As for what is to come, Jennings said he can’t wait to get to work.

“I am happiest when I am busy, so this is another way to do what I like,” Jennings said. “I want to prove to student government that the job of communications director is something that is needed and something that is worthwhile to have, whether it’s me doing it or in the future, someone else taking over.”

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.