K-State cross country finishes first, third at Vic Godfrey Open

0
76
Leading the group, K-State sophomore Sydney Collins has a great start to women's 4K race at the J.K. Gold Classic in Augusta, Kansas, on Sept. 1, 2018. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

Saturday morning marked the second meet this season for the Kansas State cross country teams in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

The teams competed in the Vic Godfrey Open at Wayne E. Dennehl Cross Country Course and finished first with a total of 61 points with three individuals placing in the top 10.

The men’s team finished in third, while the women’s won the meet title. Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis and Marquette were the only teams ahead of K-State’s men’s team, who finished with 114 team points.

The women’s team had two individuals place in the top five. Sophomore Cara Melgares recorded a second-place finish with a time of 18:15.2 and junior Sydney Collins got fourth overall with 18:22.2. Senior Emma Wren finished sixth in 18:32.1.

Four more athletes placed including sophomore Kassidy Johnson (13th, 19:08.2), freshman Karley Larson (36th, 19:50.8), junior Anna Keeley (46th, 20:11.6) and sophomore Victoria Robinson (60th, 20:56.6).

In team finishes, K-State’s women placed first over 10 other teams, including IUPUI, UW- Milwaukee, Marquette and Loyola in the top five.

Seven individuals from the men’s team finished in the top 75 overall in the men’s 8K race.

Senior Joe Gorthy finished at the top to help the Wildcats place third as a team. Gorthy placed fourth overall with a time of 25:46.8. Redshirt freshman Jackson Schroeder also placed in the top 10 alongside Gorthy, finishing the race in 25:50.6 to claim sixth place.

Freshmen Cooper Schroeder and Charlie Parrish finished 18th (26:21.4) and 31st (26:39.6), respectively.

Junior Kurt Loevenstein finished in 27:37.6 to place 65th alongside redshirt freshman Dylan Brenneman (73rd, 27:46.2) and sophomore Noah Stevenson (74th, 27:46.7).

The men’s team finished in front of Loyola and UW-Milwaukee in the top five team finishes.

The third meet of the season for the Wildcats will be on Sept. 29 at the Rim Rock Farm Collegiate Classic in Lawrence. This will be the second meet for K-State in Kansas as they continue building their resume for the Big 12 Championships in October. The first race is scheduled to start at 9 a.m.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.