K-State volleyball sweeps weekend home invitational

0
78
The K-State volleyball team greets Omaha before the start of the game on Saturday night's match. K-State would go on to win 3-0. (Alex Masson | Collegian Media Group)

After winning two matches at the K-State Invitational on Friday, the Kansas State volleyball team played the Omaha Mavericks on Saturday night, resulting in a 3-0 win.

The Wildcats started out at a fast pace, scoring four straight points against the Mavericks. A block by senior outside hitter Kylee Zumach help put the Wildcats up 22-11. Junior middle blocker Macy Flowers collected all four blocks for K-State as Zumach sent the team to the second set up 1-0. The final score of the first set was 25-11.

The second set opened up with K-State scoring three straight points before allowing four from the Mavericks and a timeout.

Flowers recorded a block that put the Wildcats ahead 19-16. Omaha had a service ace from Isabella Sade and a kill by Anna Blaschko to tie it up at 19. A service error by the Mavericks allowed the Wildcats to start rallying back and tie it up once again at 23. A kill by sophomore middle blocker Peyton Williams and a service ace from senior outside hitter Alyssa Schultejans sent K-State to a 26-24 second set victory.

Multiple ties in the third set were capped off by five service errors on Omaha to give K-State the 19-18 lead. The Mavericks called a timeout after the Wildcats went ahead 20-18.

K-State claimed the match with a service error from Omaha’s Sydney Case. K-State had six service errors, which allowed a short-lived rally for Omaha. The Mavericks had 16 kills while the Wildcats had only 12. K-State won the third match 25-22.

“We feel very fortunate to have a three-middle rotation right now with Peyton [Williams], Macy [Flowers], and Elle [Sandbothe],” head coach Suzie Fritz said to K-State Sports. “They all have something that they do extraordinarily well. So to be able to utilize them and keep them healthy through the preseason is a wonderful thing for our team.”

When looking back at the stats for the match, both teams were fairly even, except when it came to hitting percentage. Overall, K-State had 39 kills, 14 errors and 114 total attacks for a .219 hitting percentage for the match. Omaha collected 35 kills, 20 errors, and 113 total attacks while only hitting .133.

Junior setter Sarah Dixon led the Wildcats with 29 assists, while Flowers had eight blocks. Schultejans totaled 10 kills and Devan Fairfield had 13 digs on the night.

With the success K-State had this weekend going a perfect 3-0 at home, the Wildcats can carry that momentum into their match Tuesday against the University of Missouri-Kansas City.

UMKC is 7-3 overall and 6-1 on their home court. They have won their last four matches and have only lost three sets over that span. K-State is now 8-1 and has won their last six matches. The match between K-State and UMKC is scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday in Kansas City, Missouri.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.